FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WenchCon III Planning Thread (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: WenchCon III Planning Thread
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
*crosses her fingers in hopes that it's on the 12th*
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we want people to be there, please say the 12th! *gives big sad-eyed look to Olivia*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
*joins Coccinelle in finger-crossing*

[ December 08, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: JaneX ]

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I have somplace far away to be on the 14th, but that weekend is okay. I mean, I don't have to be there the whole time. It does mean that I probably won't be able to help shuttle people to the airport on Sunday, though.

But that's okay, as long as somebody else is willing.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any problem with either of those weekends.
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Space Opera, I have a question: Is it the trying to pick a date that is micromanaging? I don't want to offend anyone. I'd rather not do it than hurt anyone's feelings. [Frown]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It does mean that I probably won't be able to help shuttle people to the airport on Sunday, though.

But that's okay, as long as somebody else is willing.

Hotel with airport shuttle. I'm serious - unless somebody wants to be chauffer that weekend and that's all (and who would want to do that?), I think getting a hotel with an airport shuttle is the single thing most conducive to WenchCon happiness.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly Olivia - not at all. [Smile]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

That lets out the Wingate.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I second that, Kate-- we're all going to have different flights, there's no way that three people want to be going back and forth driving everyone.

Plus, if some of us stay an extra day to save money on the flight, people won't have to rearrange their plans to take care of us.

[ December 08, 2004, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia, I'll just say again that no, micromanaging isn't you.

I have plans that weekend in March, so I won't be able to go. [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

There are usually plenty of hotels near the airport that do it. I have already said I'd be happy to call and find out all about all their rates if it would save others time (I'm a stay-home mom, with not much to do, and we have unlimited long-distance, so it won't cost). But if someone else would like to, I'm happy to let them.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Frown] No mac?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. I could've done the first weekend in March, but the second weekend I have plans that can't exactly be changed, and the third weekend, I'm in a wedding in Georgia.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We can still all try to find a different weekend... I guess... *is sad because obviously not everyone is going to be able to make any weekend, but she'd like to meet everyone*
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Please, anyone who wants to find a hotel and is willing to make calls, feel free. What I found was that the hotels with airport service are closer to the city, which means they are either more expensive or fairly skanky.

So it's a trade off, but if it's one most people are willing to make, then It's cool by me.

*Sigh*

What about May? Longer wait, but that gives us more time to plan stuff and get cheap flights or whatever. It'd be out of the way of the wedding, but probably still not too hot.

What do you guys say?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My birthday is May 21. But then, maybe I can get my husband to agree to it as a birthday present...

Olivia, I'll start calling people and email you when I have any results, since I don't really know what's a good place and what's not.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for a skanky hotel! [Big Grin]

space opera

edit: that *was* a joke, by the way

[ December 08, 2004, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Okay, aside from the weekends in March (2nd, 3rd and Easter weekend), and the weekend of bobndanafest, I'm good with anything else. I've got a friend who works for Delta and get get tix cheap. [Smile]

If I can go, I volunteer as a shuttle because I can get a good rate on an SUV from Enterprise. I found that renting a car was a GREAT experience. You had transportation flexibility and could help out others. If it came to it, instead of going for a skankier or more expensive hotel, we could pool money for a couple SUV rentals and do it that way. I'd volunteer to be a driver, since I'm somewhat familiar with the Atlanta area as I grew up there.

Hence Ben.

I love that I sucked ben into this.

Nerd.

Olivetta
Member # 6456

I thought I found a good place last year, only to have my husband shake his head and laugh at me, mumbling something like, "No way you're sleeping anywhere in that neighborhood."

So, I'll run it by him, and make some calls when i get a minute. Have many family dental appts today, and must confront martial arts people about not paying me for the last half of my work. *stressed*

mackillian
Member # 586

Okay.

A minivan or SUV can be rented from Enterprise on the first weekend in March (was using it to get rates) for $212 for Friday through Monday.

So, whoever is doing hotel math, can you compare that vs. an airport shuttle enabled more expensive hotel?

Olivia, I can also run hotels by Leanne, as she works in the crap-areas of Atlanta, being a paramedic. [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

The advantage of the hotel is not the price - it's that someone doesn't have to sacrifice being involved in the fun in order to play chauffeur.

Jamie, are you really offering to be at the beck and call of everyone the whole weekend?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
*hoping we don't pick a hotel that's very expensive*
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

If it means I can go? Then by all means, yes.

I'd also suspect that most flight would be on Friday and Sunday.

katharina
Member # 827

That's flights in. Most flights out will be Sunday and Monday. That means every day of WenchCon, you will be driving people back and forth thirty minutes each way to the airport.

And if people's flights leave two and a half hours apart...you'll either be spending the entire day in the car, for all four days (which I don't see happening), or else people will hang out at airports by themselves a lot and not be able to spend that last two and a half hours with everyone.
---

What we need are options - how much the different options cost.

Ketchupqueen, I'll help you call places this weekend if you like. [Smile]

[ December 08, 2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried to read this entire thread to determine what date everyone decided on...I couldn't figure it out.

Are you still thinking? If not, when exactly is this going to be held?

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think the two most popular dates bandied about are the first and second weekends in March. Some wenches can only come the first weekend, and some can only come the second weekend.

No one wants to make a definite decision (including me). I think that part of the discussion has been tabled pending new information or a deadline due to a reluctance to exclude anyone.

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Okay, thanks.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We haven't really decided on a date quite yet. Katie, I'm going to compile a list of places to call today. I'll probably start calling today or tomorrow. I'll e-mail you a list if I still have places to call this weekend, okay?
mackillian
Member # 586

I thought I'd made it clear that what I said was an option, and that costs needed to be analyzed. Apparently I didn't, but now I did. Analyze away.

A shuttle also wouldn't be at the beck and call of everyone--there'd be timed trips.

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm coming in a bit late on this, but I wanna come. [Smile] The first weekend in March would be awesome for me, as that's my spring break.

quote:
I'm sooo up for a Road Trip for any Midwesterners...

Like me?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm going to call any hotel reasonably near the airport (in case we do decide to have someone drive, it'll be no more than 5-10 minutes away) that has meeting facilities and find out about shuttles, meeting facilities, rates (for both March and May) whether there's a discount for groups, if so, how many do we need, etc., and send it on to Olivia for weeding out of undesirable locations and such, and then she can choose the best option.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What's our target price on rooms? And do we think we can fill 15 rooms?

[ December 08, 2004, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, it would be nice to find something less than $100/night for rooms. That way those of us who are cheap can split it 4 ways and pay $25/night or less. We should be able to fill 15 rooms, I think.

Also, I would expect up to $150/night for a conference room, with that price going down depending how many rooms we fill. Any more than that, or $150 without a break for more rooms, probably wouldn't be worth it unless the rooms were significantly under $100/night.

Of course, Atlanta prices might be different... but I wouldn't think it would be too much more than Chicago. See if you can find something in that ballpark, and a airport shuttle for $10 per direction or less. Or right on a train line from the airport with no transfers required, even those of us unfamiliar with the area and/or directionally impaired should be able to manage that. So that's the ideal, and we'll see how close we can get to it. [Smile]

(I'm still down as a maybe. I'll come if it's possible, but I'm not getting my hopes up.)

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, I found a place 1 mile from the airport with a free shuttle that will give us a group rate of $69 a night and a meeting room free if we fill 15 rooms. The meeting room can be arranged with chairs for only up to 50 people, but can be arranged "theater style" for up to 90.

How does that sound?

(I will keep calling to see if I find something better, though.)

[ December 08, 2004, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

katharina
Member # 827

Good grief, that sounds perfect.

Hmm...Since The Wedding is the next month, I think WenchCon attendance might be a little lighter. What if we don't fill 15 rooms?

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the nerd said the Wingate had hourly shuttles to the airport?

Just to try and keep the confusion down, email me with your preferences for a date at trevor_medina@hotmail.com.

What dates are good for you, what dates you absolutely cannot do, etc.

If you already know your hotel room preference - single, double, sharing a room, etc., please include that as well. Any special accomodations should also be noted - Ketchup will be bringing her little spud, for example.

-Trevor

Edit: Which one is that Ketchup?

[ December 08, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

My only question is what kind of rooms are those? 2 double beds, or only 1? For that price, some people would probably go only 2 to a room, but it's still good to know if we could do 4.

But yeah, that sounds awesome, as long as it's in a decent part of town with some food choices within walking distance.

Oh, one other thing to check on... I don't think it would be a deal breaker, but nice to know if they have an "activities" area. At KamaCon I don't think too many people used the pool, but the meeting room started to get cramped every now and then and a lot of us went down to the pool area to play ping-pong and pool. That was fun. [Smile] 'Cept when Eddie and I got busted quietly playing ping-pong at midnight. [Frown]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, there's also, apparently, a Nascar race or something in March, so things will be crazy in the airports and all the second weekend. We also might have higher rates if we try to go then, plus many places are already full.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's the rate for either a queen or 2 doubles. The lady is going to email me, but I think she did say walking distance to lots of places.

*goes off to call more places*

[ December 08, 2004, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

If we stick close to the airport, yes - what are the odds a hotel on the north side of town would run a shuttle service?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, is someone close by going to look at whatever place we are considering before we make a decision? You know, so we know that the place is clean and well kept and all... [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I think that would almost be required - considering how many women we will have attending WenchCon. [Big Grin]

I can borrow a friend's digital camera and inspect the site once we pick a likely location.

-Trevor

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, apparently people who work hotel sales in Atlanta leave before 5:30, 'cause I'm not getting them. I left some messages, so I may find a better deal tomorrow, but right now it looks like the only one I found with really good rates was the Wellesley Inn and Suites Atlanta Airport. The sales rep was really helpful and friendly, too, which I can't say for all of them.
TMedina
Member # 6649

It varies - some run 9-5, others till 6.

Apparently a local college had a "mock convention registration" exercise that torqued off the sales rep I spoke to. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I just sent you an e-mail, Trevor. Sorry I talk so much...
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
the wingate i still think is great. i dont thiunk anybody felt like they missed out by helping run shuttle last year. i really do think everybody had a fine time and will again.

hotel shuttle = no big deal. i volunteer to be the guy who "wont have much fun" by shuttling everybody kat, dont worry about it. go for the wingate.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

It has balconies... *remembers how much trouble we got in climbing between balconies on HS band trips*
mackillian
Member # 586

Those balconies were awesome.
katharina
Member # 827

Wouldn't it be great if no one has to sacrifice fun? [Smile]

We are just looking at possibilities here...

I did like the badmiton and ping pong courts at KamaCon.

---

I love the idea of sneaking across balconies to each other's rooms. Maybe we can make rules in order to have fun breaking them.

1. No sneaking into each other's rooms.
2. No stealing all the clothes while someone is in the shower.
3. No ping pong at midnight. [Wink]
4. No handing out commemorative underwear.
5. No embarassing the Wenchlings.

[ December 08, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.