FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WenchCon III Planning Thread (Page 9)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: WenchCon III Planning Thread
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
We could all hit up the High.

but you won't find me in costume...not gonna happen.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
But, Ben, what if we get you some elf ears? You could just wear regular clothes with them...

[ December 09, 2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben already has elf ears.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't think a shuttle would be too impersonal. Heck, I would take public transportation by myself, if there was a way to get from the airport to whichever hotel we end up with. I do see the value of discussing alternatives. And I do agree that transportation was a serious issue at KamaCon. I wasn't around to hear most of it, but what I heard about sounded like there was way too much chauffering going on, which I'm sure made the event less fun for a select few.

I don't think there were as many problems with chauffering at WenchCon II. It felt like a lot of folks really tried to group their arrival times together, so they could carpool. I think if we planned carefully, we could make do without airport shuttles. But we should absolutely consider finding a place that either has shuttles, is on a public transportation route (we took the Marta often during the Olympics. I liked it), or would cut down on the transit time for those carpooling or chauffering.

I am not opposed to finding a new place. I just feel that the Wingate had a lot of what I wanted. Comfortable rooms, a large meeting room, an equally large continental breakfast area that we used for spillover, lots of stuff within walking distance. These are all things I would like to see with whatever hotel we decide on. And if it's not the Wingate, then I would really like for someone to go check out the hotel in person before we sign a contract, so we can make sure it is suitable to our needs.

I would love to sightsee in Atlanta again sometime. However, I would be quite content to just sit at the hotel and chitchat with folks. I'm going to visit with people, not to see the city. So my primary concern is making sure the hotel is comfortable enough to hang out at all weekend.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ben already has elf ears
Ben, that's a costume. Kinda.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
At some point a head count should probably be undertaken so you know what you're dealing with...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Isn't that why Trevor asked us to email him?
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but I doubt e-mail will get the same type of response as a new thread devoted to signing up, including people with maybes, strong maybes, possiblys, and "if there cat doesn't get sick"s.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I'm sure there will be one, at some point. But if Olivia hasn't decided where or when, it seems a little early. Trevor just wanted to know who could come when so we can pick a date and then start that kind of stuff, I think.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
What's this about Trevor wanting people to email him?
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
He wanted people to email him about what dates would be good for them. Go vote for March 12th. [Razz]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I don't think it matters what date for me (assuming I can convice Jen to go) so my vote is up for the highest bidder.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Tick, did you email Trevor and tell him that? He also wants to know who would be coming in by air and who would be driving (and who would be swimming or walking, I suppose). [Smile]
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wellesley was on my list last year, but for some reason didn't make the cut. I don't think it was one I checked out but didn't like. I think they may have been the ones that never answered the phone.

KQ is the coolest. *cheers*

One of us needs to find the place and scope the surroundings. I'm cool with the change, if it's a safe area with stuff close by.

And the Wingate was actually about 20-25 min from my house, but it was near the interstate, easy to find and in the middle of one of the biggest commercial areas on the North Side. Plus, they gave us the meeting room for half of what otgher places wanted, since I could not be sure how many rooms would be booked. I think it ended up being less than ten, since about 15 young men shared, like, two rooms. [Big Grin] I think the total was about 7 or 8 rooms, and two of them were just my family.

I'll contact Kelly and see if they could even do us the same deal this year, since it was partly based on it being the off season.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm still waiting for calls back from other places; I will either have more options tomorrow, or be out of places to call.

And you're the coolest, Olivia. [Smile]

[ December 09, 2004, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm mostly kidding - since I won't know if we can go for a while, no sense in me having a say. My preference would be to drive, but then I'd take the week before off (or some days before/after) to make it easier, maybe see the folks on the way down.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
random

I'll be in Georgia in May. Not in March.

/random

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

So I guess the choice is between March 12 and the previous weekend? Shlomo won't be able to come either of those weekends.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We were also considering May, if more people could make it then, I think. Another reason to just say when you can come, when you can't, and not worry about the "choices". [Wink]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like alot of people are having trouble with March, and it would be difficult having so many get-togethers in four weeks.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

May is not so great for exams and stuff like that, for many students. I know Shlomo will be bogged down with AP exams and the like.

Too bad we didn't start the serious planning of this early enough to do it on a 3-day weekend like MLK or President's Day, like we did last year...

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Bad people. Not e-mailing Trevor. Go see his other thread about plans.
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't start planning because I wasn't planning on it at all, what with my mom dying and other family stuff. I'm sorry if it puts anybody out over much, but not doing it is always an option. I can't even do it the second week in March. People said February was too soon, though I think we could book a hotel, it wouldn't leave time for cheap flights and other arrangments.

PS I told Ron the wellesley was on Virginia ave and he laughed. Then he said it would be fine as long as we didn't leave the hotel. O_o

But really, I'm cool with not doing this if it's only going to make people mad with the arrangments. I just missed everybody and would like to do it again sometime.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I truly think it's time for an executive decision - perhaps by Trevor and Olivia since they live in Atlanta?

Seriously, what's the problem with just using the place that was used last time? I've heard lots of people saying it was great; it seems unproductive to go round and round for 9 pages voting on a place when a good one seems to exist - plus all this is making more work for Trevor and Olivia because despite other people making calls, *they* are the ones that have to physically go there and check it out.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of us would go to Georgia just to visit Olivia and family [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Olivia, I didn't say that to put the blame on you, some of the others of us could have taken responsibility for planning it, and we just didn't. I guess I thought we weren't going to do it this year after all.

So you really can't do the second week in March? I could do either weekend in March, but I think JaneX could do that second weekend.

I hope we will be able to work something out with everyone who wants to come this time. [Smile]

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone is blaming anyone for anything - we're just prodding the ball to get it rolling.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned in the other thread. Last night at dinner, Olivia and i threw out the idea that we should just do it in January and let it be. Does not matter if it's one month away, or three. cut out on the weekend swapping in March. Those that will come, will come. Those that will not, will not, regardless! So, yep, here is to January.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Check the other thread - we're testing the waters with the notion of the last weekend in January or the first weekend in February.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.