FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Airlines & Hotels

Author Topic: Airlines & Hotels
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
How is it that my bag made the flight from Dallas to College Station last night and I didn't? I was IN the airport (DFW). I called the regional carrier to let them know I was there and rushing as fast as I could to get the plane.

I'd come in on their PARENT airline (American). They knew the inbound flight was delayed but that it would be close...

Did they wait?

NO!

Last flight out, couldn't wait 5 frequin' minutes....

[Grumble]

Oh well. They put me up at the airport Sheraton for free, so I can't complain. I got to sleep some and it didn't really cost me anything but an early start on clearing up my huge backlog of SPAM e-mails.

But one thing struck me at the hotel. What is the deal with "for your convenience" when used by a business, especially one that caters to travelers. The thing that follows that phrase is usually something completely IN-convenient.

Like:

For your convenience, local phone calls are $1 and long distance calls are charged at "operator assisted rates, plus a $2 connection fee.

Or

For your convenience, the fan in the bathroom runs 24 hours a day and makes so much noise you couldn't possibly sleep within earshot of it.

Or

For you convenience, the HVAC controls in this room have been removed. If you want the room hotter or colder, please call the front desk and a friendly "associate" will explain why you are a selfish b@st@rd intent on ruining things for the rest of us.

Or

For your convenience, we have purchased towels that are too small and not very absorbent.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
*Wonders how much of the increased annoyance was due to the DW factor, which could be accompanied by a slight endorphin drop and irritability increase*

(In this particular case, "DW" refers to Dana Withdrawal)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you would have packed yourself in your luggage, you would have made it home OK.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
For your convenience, the following pamphlet will explain why anything that goes wrong is really your fault. [Razz]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana Withdrawal:rofl:

I think that might be terminal!

Dan, I think being packed inside my luggage might've been more comfortable. [Razz]

Dagonee-- it's true!!

[ March 29, 2004, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Dearest, check your e-mail!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Got it, my little heroin

um...

heroine.

Yeah, that's it!!!

[Big Grin]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a Holiday Inn this past week and they had a small sign on the bathroom counter (as best I can remember it): Due to the popularity of our hotel amenities, we are pleased to offer you the opportunity to buy many of the items in your room. Below is listed all available items for sale with the prices currently offered. If you choose not to notify housekeeping of your purchase selections, for your convenience Management will simply apply the missing item's cost to your bill. Thank you."

Then it listed all the stuff that people steal from hotel rooms. [Smile]

My favorite part of that was "Due to the popularity of our hotel amenities.." It made me laugh out loud. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.