FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Storytelling

Author Topic: Storytelling
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working on doing some Bible story telling at church, and writing original stories that can either be told by a single storyteller, or enacted as a skit. I've been loving it. It plays into my favorite parts of working with kids - doing something fun and creative, but not having to be responsible for instruction. I'm not a patient teacher of little ones, but I love doing things like puppet shows, telling stories, reading aloud to them.

So, last week I went on a girls night out with some friends that are elementary teachers. One is the reading resource teacher for the first and second grade at a nearby school.

Talk came around to working and being a full time mom, and I mentioned that I may be interested in doing something part-time after my youngest ones start school. I still want to be home with them in the afternoons.

My friend then asked me if I was interested in doing storytelling or working in a library. I was floored, because I hadn't told her I was interested in storytelling. I told her yes!

She said that she thought of it because she remembers me telling all of them stories when we were kids, and we all laughed and reminisced for a while. (I was a very creative sort as a youngster, and making up stories and telling them in funny styles to entertain my friends was a favorite pasttime)

Well, my friend said that they were so desperate for school librarians and library assistants they were taking anyone willing to apply, even if they didn't have a degree in library science. Of course, I don't have a degree at all, but she didn't think that would be too much of a barrier to me getting a job as an assistant, and that I might even be able to get a contract to do storytellings for the school system, maybe going to several of the elementary schools.

How does one build a resume as a storyteller? Do you suppose I should just put together a program and volunteer at the schools? Our county library cooperative already employs a storyteller. I'm not sure about our city library, I could check.

I would love to pursue this, has anybody here done this type of thing at all? Any suggestions?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve done some. I recommend grabbing a copy of The Storyteller’s Guide Edited by Bill Mooney and David Holt. It’s published by August House (who have other great storytelling resources as well).

It’s got tips on getting started, finding and creating stories, improving your presentation, marketing yourself as a storyteller, staying on the good side of copyright laws, etc. Good book.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should include some of your writing experiences, and also talk about the stories you tell your children. They are both very valid experiences relative to the job. And all the childrens books you love to read to them.

Starting to volunteer would be a great way to go about it. It might be an interesting way to involve Therapy Dog work too.... I can't remember if it was the site you found or a different site that talked about kids reading books to therapy dogs to encourage reading.

You know you don't *have* to be under the auspices of an organization like the one you liked to earlier to get a therapy dog certification. That place has a lot of other testing involved, which is good for a dog in a hospital situation but not necesary in a lot of others. You need to be certified through TDI or Delta is only normally a less than a day process.

I can look up when TDI testing will be in your area if you want.

I think tying the two together (story teller- dog combo) would be awesome!

AJ

[ March 29, 2004, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I book storytellers all the time. I think you would be great. Just get some cards printed up. Go to various schools and churches and let them know you are available.

Whenever you do a good show, send them a Thank You Note for having you, and ask for a letter of reference.

Use the best letters to show other people.

You will be asked to do a lot of free shows. At first that is fine, to get your name and reputation. Keep track of these shows for they are donations and are tax deductable.

But limit yourself. People will tell you, "Do my charity for free. There will be a bunch of people there. It will get you a reputation." They are right. It will give you a reputation as someone who will tell their stories for free.

Don't forget to know your audience. We once had a story teller at a holiday party do a wonderful ecological story about saving trees. Unfortunately it was for a company that makes cardboard boxes. Get your self a good set of Christian stories, as well as some more Secular ones.

Puppets, props, and interaction with the kids, bringing them onto the stage area and putting them into the story is the secret to being a great storyteller.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

ahh yes it was Delta that has the READ program.
http://www.deltasociety.org/petpart/ppart0101.htm

and they even have an upcoming event in Alabama.

http://www.deltasociety.org/dsq001.htm#al

I would think saying that you are Delta/READ certified would do nothing but help the storytelling aspect of things as well.

And as long as your dog was there you have liability insurance as well.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

LOL at the cardboard boxes story [ROFL]

I do use props, colorful scarves are my favorite right now, and puppets. I worked in our puppet ministry two years ago and I LOVED it.

I'm working on one right now about Noah's Ark, where I'll be giving every kid a silk handkerchief dyed in blues to represent the water, and some animal print painted scarves for the animals, and a big five-foot long rainbow scarf. [Smile] I dye the scarves myself, and get them really inexpensively.

I know I'll need a secular repertoire, since I want to work in the schools. My friend said she'd recommend some good books and themes for me to work with that would fit in nicely with the themes they work on in the reading program.

I figure I'll continue to work on it and hone my skills, get some books like dkw suggested, and volunteer places to practice and build a resume. I won't be able to really pursue it for another year and a half until the kids start school.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Cool, AJ!

The reading program was my favorite part of what they do, I just think tha'ts so cool. Few things can have as positive an impact on a child's potential than helping them to get a good start reading.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Do you think tying the two together is feasible?

At least to "professional" organizations like schools it might give you more legitimacy which is why I was thinking of it.

AJ

Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
A dream job, Belle! And time to prepare. how wonderful! I know you'll do great.

Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! Sounds like a lot of fun!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.