FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pretty good day

Author Topic: Pretty good day
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm here to brag. I'm a shameless egotist, I admit.

Anyways, I get a test back in my Chaucer class (which is incredibly hard; details as to why coming up) and I found out I got an A; this is phenomenal, as the class average is usually a low C, and, hey, I'm just an average kind've guy. I studied a whole lot and I guess I finally pulled through. But at the bottom of the exam it read: "Robert, good exam. Come by my office sometime in the week."

Uh-oh. Ominous chords in the background. I didn't cheat. I mean, it wasn't like I didn't consider it, but I didn't cheat.

I asked her about it and she saw to follow her back to her office. She sat me down and said that she thought I was a very articulate and intelligent young man, and why the hell wasn't I in the English honors program?

*crickets chirping*

I explained to her that my first semester was woefully misspent as a musician, and I was still recovering from the blows, particularly my GPA. I had always known about it (she was afraid that I never had known about it at all), but I had never known of ways around the GPA thing. I asked if there were any bypasses.

She said, "You're talking to her."

Turns out she's the head of English Honors at UT. Maybe even the head of the English department, I don't know. She wants me to sign up for English honors, and, man, I have no problem doing that.

Maybe the best part was her bookshelves. I saw Tolkein, Mary Stewart, the Nibelungenlied, much, much Chaucer, and several dictionaries of fairies, as well as a display of several Lord of the Rings action figures. I talked to her a bit, and I think I made a friend in a high place today. If I can take any more of her classes, I will.

This, coming on the blessed advent that the book I've been writing in my head for the last year has simply poured out of me, I mean a total gift from the gods, here, 170 pages in Word in under two weeks, PLUS the fact that I'm going to Oxford next month AND she's going to be there (with another program), means that this summer is definitely looking up.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome!!!!! Congratulations! *so proud*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
A guy named Book makes it to honors English, go figure.

Congratz!

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome!!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, all.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Good on yer, mate.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!

[Party]

That's really cool. May your summer continue to look up! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish my teachers liked LOTR.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.