FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you didn't want to discuss it....

Author Topic: If you didn't want to discuss it....
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a rant, so please excuse me while I get this out of my head so that I can work.

At precisely six o'clock every weekday, I pull myself out of bed, wandering into the kitchen where my father-in-law is pouring over the morning paper (The SF Chronicle, if you must know). Daily I have to hear his opinion on every major issue in the United States. We talk, I make jokes about the administration as I blurrily prepare a cup of coffee, and my wife and mother-in-law vacate the area, lacking my tolerance to the inane drivel based on partisan politics.

My style, you may have noted, is usually to use satire and irony and apply it to the subject at hand. I offer little in the way of explaining my sub-text, which is there. Either you can figure out my references or not.

This morning I mentioned the fact that I recently re-registered as "declined to state", because I feel that both of the major parties fail to represent my ideals. I went on to state that I wasn't going to vote for Kerry, I was going to vote against Bush. Simple. We all know the subtext is: I am voting for Kerry, even though I don't agree with him, just to vote against Bush.

Well, suddenly I became part of the Republican conspiracy that grips our world in a pony-clamp of fascism. He had the nerve to tell me that those who don't vote, have no right to complain (cliche' #1), and that if I didn't vote for Kerry, then I might as well be voting for Bush(cliche' #2).

This did amuse me. He told me to stop trying to be cute, and to drop it. I did. Choose your battles, and really we were in agreement, though he apparently did not realize it.

I mentioned it to my wife on the way to work. She said "He likes to debate everything."

I replied that no, in fact, he doesn't. Apparently the idea is to spout off your political nonsense to anyone within ear-range, and anything that is opposed to your point of view is not worth hearing.

Well, if you didn't want to discuss it....

Oh, well. Now that I've gotten that out, I can actually think.

Thanks Hatrack!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
living with parents is so much fun......

NOT!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah what the heck are you thinking? married and living with your wife's parents? Are you crazy? I intend to marry a perfect woman with perfect parents and I have no intention of doing that for any great extent of time [Smile]

heheh, on the flip side "and that if I didn't vote for Kerry, then I might as well be voting for Bush" is exactly the reason that I will not vote for Kerry, if I don't, that is.

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Thanks guys.

If I can just hold on a few months longer, scenes like the one described will no longer occur. But I gotta do it for my wife and child.

Unlike others, I am happy that others hold other viewpoints than my own. I just wish that they could tolerate mine. There would be less tongue holding involved then.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there, ES.

At least you see light at the end of the tunnel.

My mother lives with me because she can't take care of herself (that story is in a different thread).

While I'm conservative, she would be considered extremist-conservative. In her book, alcohol, men, sex and liberals are the ultimate evils in any dosage.

Needless to say, we often have verbal sparring matches. <sigh>

Usually it is just easier to hold the tongue and "not go there".

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Well, these are good people, basically. My problem, as usual, is trying not to take sides, and becoming the common middle ground that the other sides unite against.

It's hard to keep an open mind sometimes.... [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*whimpers*

Guys, you're scaring me. I'm moving in with my parents in August. Just for a few months -- they'll be leaving town for most of a year -- but still. [Angst]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Keep your head down, lady! [Big Grin]
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I still live with my parents. [Hat]
I can't vote either though.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
People who live with their parents gain great rewards in the afterlife. Especially if you can hold your tongue.

When it gets bad I have taken to nodding my head with a blank expression. This means, "I hear what you are saying". <laughs> That and saying nothing whatsoever, no vocalizations at all, until they run out of steam. After a few moments of silence in respect for the dead topic, I think of something else to bring up.

When this doesn't work, I leave and go home. People who live with parents are filled with grace and merit. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.