FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Listen, children, for I speak

Author Topic: Listen, children, for I speak
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Hate is an emotion that destroys those who embrace it. Hate warps the mind, filling it with despair and anger. Beware of letting this emotion take hold on you, for once it does, it shall scar your soul for a long, long time.

- Phanto (3,55)

[ October 10, 2004, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a 30 year old child so I'll listen and agree.

Hatred is at best a destructive attitude.

-Cstroman

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

What makes hate so dangerous is convinence. Hate is a useful emotion, one that can fuel a person to superhuman effort. Hate is the emotion that gave Russia strength to stop the German advances in WWII. And similary, one who is suffering, one who needs to recover...can all too easily fall prey to Hate, and accept its short-term power.

- Phanto (3,56)

[ October 10, 2004, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Of course, to speak in such a manner is Romantic, at best. Such is how we must approach Romantic concepts, however.

- Phanto (3,57)

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes Hate is all you have left at the end of the day.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, "hate" can be good, if we fuel it to the right direction. It forces us to take action.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Those who have a blossoming hatred should never have allowed the seed to find root.

- Cstroman

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Actions based on hatred have hatred as their result.

-Cstroman

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Not always. Hate can be a motivating factor.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
How are we defining hatred, here? There was a thread on Ornery on this exact topic, and I don't want to repeat myself. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

If you are motivated by hate, you are doing the wrong things for the worst reasons.

-Cstroman

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, how is hate being defined? Is it appropriate to say that we "hated" Saddam Hussein? Would it be inappropriate to hate him? He was a murderer, a torturer, and a tyrant; it is appropriate to loathe, disdain, distrust, and seek to destroy him, right? If so, how do we distinguish those latter desires, in practicality, from "hatred?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Tom, you know better than to try and interject reason into a discussion like this.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, I'm just trying to figure out what we consider hatred. Does OSC "hate" Bill Clinton? Does Chad "hate" Barbara Streisand? (Note: I'm just throwing out hypotheticals.)

And if, for example, Chad does not hate Streisand because he considers her a pathetic or uninfluential figure, not deserving of hatred, does that make his actual opinion of her better or worse than hatred would be?

Along the same line, I hear from a lot of people that many Democrats "hate" Bush. Is this real hatred, or is it just shorthand for "disdain," "disrespect," or "strongly dislike?" Is there a distinction to be made between strongly disliking someone for "legitimate" reasons and "hating" someone for those same reasons?

FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always defined hatred as wishing for the death/suffering of another person.

I disdain Saddam Hussein, but I don't wish for his death. I think justice demands it, but it would not be something I'd celebrate.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Hating is considering someone bad as a person, not just a person who does bad things.

The curious thing about hatred is that everyone seems to realize how counterproductive it is, yet when it comes to nazis or terrorists or bullies beating up your kid or anything like that so many people won't hesistate to use it (and defend themselves for using it.)

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

-Yoda 4:13

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I'm curious, Annie...how did you come to the 4:13 number? [Confused]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Depression is fear turned inward
Anger is fear turned outward.
Hatred is the embracing of that fear.

So you only hate those you truly fear, and those pathetic people so full of hate really are just full of fear.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Annie's made a point to catalog all the wise sayings and inferences garnered from Yoda's short appearances.

That's why she and Hobbes get along so well. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I experienced hate today. My husband calls home on his cell phone, he wants to know if I can locate an open bank branch between his undisclosed location and home. I explain that it is Columbus day and they are closed. But he is sure that since supermarkets are open, a bank branch in a supermarket would be open. So I find one in the phone book. It rings and rings. Also, one of his clients calls and because his primary number forwards to me I have to get that as well, but I can't help the guy since he is simply returning a call from my husband. So I call back husband to let him know that the bank branch in the store just rang and rang. Now he asks me to call the store itself and ask them if the bank branch in their store is closed. I tell him that is stupid, refraining from using any actual curse words, but I will do it anyway because there is no way I can get more ticked than I am currently. I call the store and of course the bank branch is closed. My husband arrives home, and I announce the surprising news. And I ask why he didn't just stop at the store. "Because it would have been a waste of my time". [Mad]

I think it is possible to hate something that someone does and not them personally. Maybe there is some other, more articulate word that wouldn't break that rule our mothers drummed into us as children. Execration?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Heh. I think all people experience that scenario with their significant others.

It keeps marriage interesting. Or so people tell me. Personally, I think it's all a radical conspiracy from the pro-marriage people to suck the rest of us into their own layer of Hell.

But it's been that kind of a weekend for me. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.