FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Frankenstein- a review

Author Topic: Frankenstein- a review
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the review I sent into imdb.com.

If you stick to Kubrick's idea that tone is more important than plot or theme, Frankenstein is a pretty good movie. It indulges itself in decadence and decay and manages to produce things that are both beautiful and profoundly disturbing.

There may be a few spoilers here.

The story follows two cops (Parker Posey and Adam Goldberg) hunting down a serial killer in New Orleans who dissects the corpses of those he kills and takes out various organs. As seen here, New Orleans is a tottering pile of rotting buildings and knick knacks, and one can definitely feel that the movie has gotten its bent from Se7en, particularly the scene in the Sloth murder house. Of course, the murders turn out to be more than they seem, and they become linked to a certain Doctor Victor Helios, who is, of course, the famed Frankenstein, who has survived the last two centuries by methods unknown. Dr. Helios is being hunted by a "man" named Deucalion, whom, as it is revealed through several impressively nightmarish flashbacks, is the original Frankenstein monster.

This is an interesting take on the monster. Here, he's no half-witted rag-tag pile of body parts, but is instead enigmatic, brooding, and intelligent. One of the most interesting scenes is when he tries to show Posey the truth of his origins. Deucalion is onto Helios's trail because he has discovered that Helios has not stopped his experimentations at all- rather, he has been perfecting them, and has produced numerous successful creations. Part of the fun of the movie is trying to guess who's "of God" and who isn't.

This story is actually two stories, and this can be troubling. On the one hand we have a detective story, but on the other hand we have an exploration of character with Helios and his wife, who is also a creation. Helios's hunt for perfection is essentially tearing her apart, and her wish for death becomes more and more evident as time goes on. But the two plots have almost nothing to do with one another, except perhaps thematically, and oftentimes the Helios plot takes away from the tension with the murder hunt. It seems to be going somewhere, like they might intersect somewhere, but never does.

All in all, this movie is more about impressions than anything. Some scenes and performances stand out. For instance, there is a "birth" scene that may just match the original birthing scene from the first Frankenstein movie. Here the creation is covered in some sort of white fluid and looks exactly like a marble statue. It is a profoundly inhuman and disturbing effect, and as it awkwardly comes to life you can't help but be creeped out. Another good part about this movie is the performance by the killer (whom I won't reveal here), who manages to be deranged and childish at the same time. There's no real resolution to the movie, so don't expect one. Personally, I wish that we could be given a little more backstory to what exactly Frankenstein and his monster have been doing for the past 200 years, but I suppose they couldn't work that out in 2 hours. Eventually it tries to become a study about humanity and what it means to be really human, but I feel that it's better just to sit back and enjoy the macabre vision in front of you. 7/10

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
*shakes head* I kept falling asleep during this movie.

[ October 11, 2004, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: Tammy ]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AbeLinclon
Member # 6923

- posted      Profile for AbeLinclon   Email AbeLinclon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil] [Evil Laugh] I would have to disaggree about the birth scene... I've seen another version of Frankenstein and its Birth Scene was much more well it was more of a birth. The creature couldn't stand and needed help to walk, and Frankenstein was trying to help. It was quite a elaborate It was one of the longest scenes in the movie. This was short and the creature was quickly made,

Of course this may also be from the fact that he has perfected the art.

I really couldn't pay attention throughout this movie it was to confusing when I tuned in after it had started. I turned it on right before the "birth." the "WHITE STUFF" was supposed to be like amnionic fluid. So I knew what was going on in a vague way. [Dont Know] So maybe my review is not needed and doesn't show the true side of this movie but from what I saw I had to give this movie a 2 out of 4 stars.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.