FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » On Learning Russian

Author Topic: On Learning Russian
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I am trying to learn Russian, or, to at least learn the alphabet.
It's kind of difficult. I keep either forgetting most of my letters or spending time trying to figure out how to translate Russian words written in English letters into Cyrillic.
It gives me a headache.
But, here is something that keeps cracking me up.
PECTOPAH. It looks like it says pecktoepah, but it's really the Russian word for restaurant so it says "ristoran". Isn't that funny? [ROFL]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Da.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Oching mnogo.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite English/Bulgarian word (I wonder if it's the same in Russian) - HOBO (pronounced "novo" = new). [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Q: What would the Mississippi be called if the Soviets had taken over America?

A: The MiCCCP.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I'm trying to learn Russian too!

And I agree, it does give me a headache. My plan is to sound out a few words each day until I can read phonetically, and then start to memorize definitions and grammar rules. Even so. I've been working on it for over a year (off and on) and I still have difficulties remembering what some of the weirder looking letters sound like.

Russians: [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
When we were adopting I searched the web for Russian Language help. I found a good site where they even pronounced the word for you.

My mother-in-law wanted some help, so I sent it to her.

She pointed out my error.

It was a website for American men who were not adopting, but purchasing Russians--brides to be exact.

Mail Order brides. They taught phrases to help you communicate with your purchase. Many of the phrases are the same.

Reminds me of the "Who's Line Is It?" game, what are some phrases you can use on your 4 year old child, you couldn't use on your wife? (or the other way around).

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
My oldest daughter is serving a mission in Ukraine. It's amazing to me that she is so fluent in the language (Russian, not Ukrainian, although they are similar. She can understand spoken Ukrainian but cannot read it) after such a short time. We have talked about learning Russian here while she is over there, but haven't done anything about it.

All I know is that "spasibo" means "thank you" (or "mahalo" [Wink] )

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I also want to learn Japanese and German.. Maybe even at the same time.
It's so hard to coax my tired brain into studying. It shuts down as soon as it sees the languages.
Also, you spell Hvorostovsky Khvorostovski. Isn't that just confusing? I will never learn to pronounce that and I'll anger a very large man...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Once you get the alphabet, it is as easy as spanish to learn. German is also pretty easy once you get the sound pattern. Of course, these generalizations may only apply by comparison to spending 4 years banging one's head against Latin.

I have no idea about Japanese. I was taking a stab at Hebrew a while back but it has been a while.

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I studied Japanese in school for 2 years. I love it. It has 4 systems of writing. Once you learn hiragana and katakana it is not so bad, most folks are intimidated by kanji.
But, kanji has a logical system, learn it, and it is not as hard. I love kanji and should learn more, at least 5 a day or something.
But I am a sloth.
Japanese also has many particles and endings and the like. It drives me bananas trying to figure out how to say, "I gave someone something." because the style varies depending on the social position of who you are giving something to!
I really wish they'd invent software to instantly zap languages into my head.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Russophiles.

Sasha used the word that sounded like Kakaska.

I thought he was saying Cat.

Cindy believes it is well,--poo.

Any help?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
"Kakashka" is indeed poo.

("Koshka" is cat.)

[ October 12, 2004, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
Yah. "Kakasha" would be poo, I think in the diminutive. Cat is kot or koshka or kotik.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
PECTOPAH got my mom and me as well. I was 15 when we went over. There were PECTOPAHs everywhere. When we finally caught on, we had a good laugh. Good luck learning. I'd love to learn as well in case I ever go back.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

[Laugh] PECTOPAH
I can't stop laughing about that. It keeps being funny.

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
The huge plus of knowing Russian alphabet is that it helps so much when learning Greek!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I was thinking that... Russian reminds me of Greek. *Wishes I knew ancient Greek because of the book The Last Samurai*
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
It's mainly because of what happened with Byzantium and the spread of Christianity to Kiev, which imported the system of writing lanugage.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been listening to Russian music, and learning a little from that. Then I just found out today (coincidence?) that my school has a Russian program. I underestimated it and did not expect that. So now I'm trying to learn enough of this quarter's material to take the next class in the winter since the beginning class is only offered in the fall. Then I get to challenge the course before I take the next one, or something like that. I still need to talk to an advisor or two.

I just know some basic words. I'll know a lot more later [Smile]

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Wow! I was totally wondering about the history of Russian writing... But my concentration is off this week when it comes to reading >.<
I have developed an obsession with the Siberian baritone Dmitri Hvorostovsky. He did a CD of old Russian songs from before World War 2. They are fantastic. Most of them are sad and very pretty.
He also did a lot of songs by Rachmoninov and Tchaikovsky that are sung with just a piano. I want to find the text for some of them...

Like this one that is beautiful-

Мой гений, мой ангел, мой друг
Не здесь ли ты лёгкою тенью,
Мой гений, мой ангел, мой друг,
Беседуешь тихо со мною
И тихо летаешь вокруг?

И робким даришь вдохновеньем,
И сладкий крачуешь недуг,
И тихим даришь сновиденьем,
Мой гений, мой ангел, мой друг!

Ne zdes' li ty ljogkoju ten'ju,
Isn't it here,

Moj genij, moj angel, moj drug,
My angel, my genius, my friend,

Besedujesh' tikho so mnoju
That you are talking to me softly,

I tikho letajesh' vokrug?
And flying quietly around like a light shadow?

I robkim darish' vdokhnoven'jem,
You are giving me a timid inspiration,

I sladkij krachujesh' nedug,
And healing my sweet ailments,

I tikhim darish' snoviden'em,
And giving me a quiet dream,

Moj genij, moj angel, moj drug!
My angel, my genius, my friend

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone is interested:

Cyrillic alphabet

Russian language

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.