FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Libertarians, Convince me...

Author Topic: Libertarians, Convince me...
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Why should I vote for whoever is running under the libertarian ticket?

This feels a lot like the "Bush-Supporters, Convince me..." threads.. [Smile]

I don't live in a swing state. It's going to Bush. I'm almost positive. (Georgia, btw.)

I hate Kerry.

I kinda like Bush.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Are Libertarians in the primary ballot in your state? If you are in a swing state, I say all the reason you need is to help get thye L's a 3% vote so next time around they will be able to run in the primaries. PLus, you are making a statement about the two major parties.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
As he said, a vote for libertarian registers as NOT a vote for the two party system, which opens up the doors wider with every vote for other parties... Which is a good thing IMHO.

Foreign countries (well alot of them) have nothing like our two party system. It's a 5 party system or a 15 party system or more even.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Yup, they're on the ballot.

Is a Swing State one that is known to be going to a particular candidate?

I REALLY don't see Kerry taking Georgia. So Bush doesn't particularly need my vote. Not sure either of them deserve it.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Vote Libertarian because the Libertarian party stands for ideas that are reasonable.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Yeah. I think I'm gonna do research. Dunno what I'll end up deciding.

-Katarain

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
A "swing state" is one that could swing either wasy.

If it is known that a candidate has a lock on a state, that is what it is called... Locked up for them.

I think the more options we have the better...so a Lib vote would help make the Lib party a viable one..or at leat a more viable one, in the long run.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite Libetarian quote comes from a debate during the last Philly mayoral election. The Libetarian (who was not a strong candidate by any stretch of the imagination) said something along the lines of "People want thing that they didn't earn. Take me for instance. I want a yatch, but I don't have one. And I'm not going to say that the government should give me a yatch."

And I'm thinking, "Sweet bumbly-Joe, this guy thinks that talking about the yatch he doesn't have is going to convince people to vote for him."

That being said, the Libetarians stand for a much smaller government and fiscal responsibility. If you feel that the current Republican actions on these issues don't fit with what you would want to be, voting Libetarian might help nudge the Republicans towards them. It is also a step, albiet a small one, towards establishing the legitmacy of third parties, which might be something you'd want. I tihnk the number varies by state, but I know that, on a federal level, if a third party receives 5% of the popular vote, their status changes and they gain access to things like federal matching funding for their campaigns.

The drawback is that, if you live in a state where the vote is going to be close (a "swing" state), voting for someone who isn't going to win might take your important vote away from, in the case George Bush. If your state is unlikely to be close, I don't see how there really are any drawbacks.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Libertarians are also very big of personal freedom and responsibility. It's great! [Smile]
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
For a very specific, limited view of personal responsibility that is. For example, Libetarians don't believe that we have any responsibility towards the Native Americans.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto, would you say Libertarian form of government would be more reactive than pro-active?

Meaning, react to things people do instead of preventing them from doing them to begin with type?

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Yes, a Libertarian type of government would be reactive to crime and that such. I am not fully hard-core in that I do believe in a small amount of social programs and all that.
Katarain
Member # 6659

Perhaps the better thing to do is vote for the 3rd party in local/state elections.

-Katarain

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
The libertarians are the only group running who actually have a real plan that will balance the budget again.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
CSPAN has video of the 3rd Party Presidential Debates for anyone interested in Badnarik(L) or Cobb(G).
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a dues paying member of the Libertarian Party, but I simply can not bring myself to vote for Badnarik. His views are so excessively extreme that he wants to privatize the police force. This contradicts the basic libertarian belief that the government exists to protect people's life, liberty, and property from force or fraud. Instead, Badnarik promotes anarchy. For all of the reasons that Speed listed, I don't like Bush or Kerry. However, I think that a state of anarchy is even worse. For this reason, I'm voting for Bush (and in Texas, that really won't change anything much anyways [Razz] ). He may spend our money unresponsibly, but Kerry's guaranteed to be worse. There's my two cents on the issue. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.