FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Welcome to eternity

Author Topic: Welcome to eternity
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Contrary to popular opinion, infinity is not an actual number, it is the concept of a number. A true number can never be infinite, because a true number has a defined value, and as soon at is defined it is finite, it does not extend past all other possible numbers. When dealing with infinity the word is often used to mean the concept of forever, but in math, the best way of representing it in an equation, to obtain a meaningful result one must use limits.

lim x-> infinity, and then use x where you want infinity to be. You treat x as a number that approaches infinity; due to not being a number itself, infinity can not actually be reached, but “approaching” means “if it ever did reach that illustrious number, this would be it”. A very handy concept, one used frequently in math.

This is how human beings understand the infinite, limits, approaching. Comprehending the endless of forever, or the hieght of a tower that doesn’t have a ceiling, we can not do this, so we imagine something growing, something that’s getting to be big, but not quite there.

Or at least, that’s how our mind’s understand it, through guessing, projecting, abstraction. One year ago today, I finally understood it on an entirely visceral level; welcome to eternity Hobbes. One year ago I felt the weight of an infinite life and it was beautiful. Today I know the meaning of forever: it starts with one year, and never stops growing.

A year ago Annie became mine, and I became hers: welcome to eternity.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Picutes of the happy couple taken this summer by my Mother (thanks Mom! [Smile] ).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations guys!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A year ago Annie became mine, and I became hers: welcome to eternity
awwwwwwwwwwwwwww Congrats!!!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Rather than argue/correct your limited (no pun intended, honest) view of a mathematical infinity, I'll just say congrats.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Math geeks of the world, unite and take over!!!!

Congrats, Hobbes and Annie. Is today your official anniversary?

And I wasn't online on Fahim's and my anniversary. Can I steal a little of your thunder? We celebrated one year on August 15th, and no one's chopped up in little bits in the freezer yet. We survived!! [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at your pics and, man, you're young!!!!!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Hobbes and Annie!

[Big Grin]

Papa Moose, I would be very interested in you definition of infinity... Time for a new thread, methinks.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. You win a...Wait, I guess you allready have a prize [Blushing]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwww. [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*wistful sigh* You guys are awesome together. [Cool]

[ October 22, 2004, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
She didn't become yours, and you didn't become hers. You always belonged together. It just took you a few decades to see it.

congratulations [Smile]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats you two! [Smile]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
That was cool. Congrats!!!
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! [Party]
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Lovely, Hobbes.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so awesome! Congratulations Annie and Hobbes. [Smile] ))))))))))))))))))))))
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is that Hobbes is infinitely sweet. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratz!

I mean that, really,

but

did anyone else have the same automatic reaction.

"Welcome to Eternity!"

should be followed with

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.