FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What will the October surprise be?

Author Topic: What will the October surprise be?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's just 3 days away. This Thursday there will be an October surprise. Some old news dug up and portrayed as new.

In the recall election, it was the LA Times coming out with dozens of women who claimed Arnie groped them with the headline "Der Gropen Fuhrer"

In 2000, it was Bush's DUI conviction.

What's your guess?

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
That "tons" of explosives in Iraq are missing...and that it's Bush's fault that it happened.

It's not a surprise anymore.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris had some interesting predictions in this thread.

I don't know, maybe they won't try anything this year?

*yeah right*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about that... But it's too early. The Thursday before the election is the traditional October surprise day.

But it does qualify in other ways. It's old news presented as new.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
It's old news presented as new.
Well, it was new to John Kerry as of yesterday according to his speech trying to "pin it on the prez."
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
How is it old news?
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

When was it looted?
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
My prediction? On Thursday the Bush team will reveal that when John Kerry said "Hope is on the way" what he really meant was that he intends to give control of the military jointly to France and Michael Moore. [Wink]
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

They don't know when it was looted, but the US govt only found out two weeks ago, and the general public only found out yesterday.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

I thought it was the IAEA (right acronym?)report that is bringing it forth?

Hmmm.

dabbler
Member # 6443

The Iraqi govt told the IAEA on Oct 10th and the US govt on Oct 15th. The public (thee and me) found out yesterday (or today).
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to make a whole new thread for this news, but that's just too much responsibility (not really). I just thought this fit the topic.

Chief Justice William Rehnquist hospitalized for Thyroid Cancer today. They are running a report on this on CNN right now. Apparently, he just had a tracheotomy. This is certainly interesting news that could be a deciding factor in how some undecideds vote. Although thyroid cancer is one that can be treated fairly well, this may mean that he might retire. Not only might the next sitting president have to choose a new Justice of the Supreme Court, he might have to choose a new Chief Justice. That is a huge deal that could affect a lot of change in the policies of United States law.

How will this news effect your voting? Will it? Who do you think will be up to the task for Chief Justice. They are mentioning Justice Scalia and Thomas as possible candidates? Right now, I am not sure who I am leading toward. How far fetched is it to think that if Kerry wins, he would nominate Bill Clinton as a Justice. There is a precedent in appointing a former president after all.

On a lighter note, who is your favorite Justice? Mine has always been John Jay, for being the first Chief Justice, and John Marshall for setting some great precedents in US History.

United States Supreme Court

Oh... and if this has already been addressed... that's what I get for looking for links.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How far fetched is it to think that if Kerry wins, he would nominate Bill Clinton as a Justice
Very far-fetched. Very, very, very. He's got nothing to advocate him - he's practiced very little, hasn't been a judge, and has had his licensed suspended.

Given the automatic polarization this would cause, I don't see the up side for Kerrey in doing this. There's plenty of viable candidates on the bench now for either side of the aisle, and many more in academia.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hisotrically, Thurgood Marshall. Currently, Stephen Breyer.

(*dons inflammable pajamas [Wink] )

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
How does the chief justice's role differ from the other 8 justice's? It's one of those 8th grade civics type things that I know I knew at one time, but have forgotten.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Incidently, did anyone hear the rumor that Clinton wants to head up the U.N.?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"How does the chief justice's role differ from the other 8 justice's?"

He's the only one with the power to shut up Scalia when he goes on a bender. So giving the post to Scalia would remove an essential check and balance from the court. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

How far fetched is it to think that if Kerry wins, he would nominate Bill Clinton as a Justice. There is a precedent in appointing a former president after all.

[ROFL]

I wish it would happen just because it would be the biggest media circus ever.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sandra Day O'Conner has been the most reasonable and fair of the current justices.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
He's the only one with the power to shut up Scalia when he goes on a bender. So giving the post to Scalia would remove an essential check and balance from the court.
The Chief justice assigns who writes the majority opinion when he's on the majority side, gives the oath at presidential inaugurations, and presides at presidential trials in the Senate. I think that's it.

And liberals should fear Rehnquist far more than Scalia, especially on social issues. The complaints about Scalia are generally the most misinformed of any I hear about the Court.

Oh, and my favorite justice is probably Anthony Kennedy.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

By the way, I'm not sure if it's the Republican 'October suprise', but I just saw the sappiest,jaw droppingly sacharrine, most tear jerkingiest political commercial for Bush ever. Basic outline is little girl of 9/11 tower victim hasn't really spoken since attack or something. Bush comes to town. (Pictures of Bush embracing girl with tears in eyes,etc.) Girl can speak again and does so with expected adoration of Bush jr.

. . .

It's just..words fail me.... God, man. Like, a degree of cheese and bathos rolled up into one the likes of which mortal man was not meant to be exposed to. It's the condensed matter of a million hallmark cards, precious moments figurines and Norman Rockwell paintings in the form of a political commercial. *shudder*

It's right up there with the Bush hugging man and praying for him shite that Ron posted a few weeks a go.

Why can't Dems have the nuts to make these kinds of adds? You know, shots of Kerry walking across a desert with a trail of orphans and firemen and soldiers, plants blooming in his wake leading all the victims of 9/11 to the American promised land?

Sigh.

This political season is just so slimey.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
So really it's kind of an honorary thing, and not particularly important? Who cares, then, if the president has the opportunity to replace a *chief* justice (any more than any justice, of course--I recognize that appointing Supreme Court justices is one of the most lasting ways that a president can shape the country).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Why was that shite, Storm?

Dagonee

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't the chief justice have duties similar to the speaker of the house, setting the agenda for example? (That's a question as much as a statement.)
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

I think Storm hasn't seen the "America should be the soaring Eagle" Dem add yet.

I remember the ads from years ago with the crying Native American. Now I know what made him cry, that "Eagle" ad.

They do play to all crowds don't they (the ads of both parties)

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm--they read their Tolkien. The king can heal.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Dagonee, I call well done cheesy political propoganda 'shite'. I don't fault the Bush campaign for using it. Like I said, I wish the Dems would grow a pair and match it.

edit: Actually, I call anything with large amounts of 'cheese' in it 'shite'.

[ October 25, 2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Doesn't the chief justice have duties similar to the speaker of the house, setting the agenda for example? (That's a question as much as a statement.)
Nope. Certiorari is granted whenever any four justices agree to hear a case. When justices are particularly put out abou trefusal of cert, they can publish an opinion as to why cert should be granted.

I suppose the Chief probably has more say than the others about the format of oral arguments and such, but I don't think it amounts to much practically.

Dagonee

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Chad, the native American ad wasn't for a political party, but I would classify that as powerful because it was understated--the exact opposite of the Bush ad I'm desribing.

And, no, I haven't seen the Dem 'soaring eagle' ad. What's it like?

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Dan, heh, heh. [Smile]
CStroman
Member # 6872

Bush/Kerry "animal" ads.

quote:
Compared to Bush's ad, the DNC commercial is uplifting -- even comical.

To the strains of piano music, an eagle spreads its wings in a bright sky and perches on a branch at sunset while an ostrich stands with its head buried in sand.

"The eagle soars high above the earth. The ostrich buries its head in the sand. The eagle can see everything for miles around. The ostrich? Can't see at all. The eagle knows when it's time to change course. The ostrich stands in one place," the ad says. "Given the choice, in these challenging times, shouldn't we be the eagle again?"

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Heh,heh. I'll have to keep an eye out for the eagle ad.

I've seen the pack of wolves ad and I have to say that I find it silly rather than cheesy or anything. I mean, look at those wolves. They've the most well fed, least aggressive wolves on the face of the planet. When they start leisurely trotting towards the camera, I don't think 'they're coming to attack me'. I think 'I wonder who did those wolves coats? They're really smooth. What nice looking wolves.' Maybe I just know that the likelihood of wolves attacking me or anyone else, even when they're really hungry, is about zero.

Oh, well. Maybe people who don't know anything about wolves are impressed.

CStroman
Member # 6872

I think their sheep in wolves clothing... [Wink]
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't underestimate the power of being able to decide who writes the opinions. It's not the yes/no of a decision that makes history and sets the precedents so much as the written arguments. Even minority opinions can have weight (though not officially).
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By the way, I'm not sure if it's the Republican 'October suprise', but I just saw the sappiest,jaw droppingly sacharrine, most tear jerkingiest political commercial for Bush ever. Basic outline is little girl of 9/11 tower victim hasn't really spoken since attack or something. Bush comes to town. (Pictures of Bush embracing girl with tears in eyes,etc.) Girl can speak again and does so with expected adoration of Bush jr.
[Wall Bash]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.