FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My new Big Apple iPod

Author Topic: My new Big Apple iPod
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you remember i wrote i win an iBook ?
So, yesterday, i receive it. It is very beautiful, and i love the design (Software and Hardware).

But I also have a PC with the horrible Windows XP (compared to Mac OS, no picture !). So I would like to know if we can link one with the other to transfert Data (Jpeg, Mp3, doc, Xls...). Do you know if it's possible ?

In a second time, would you give me advices about the good Software, and what i must have ?

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Choobak--

Nothing is simpler than networking a Mac.

Seriously.

A couple questions first-- do you have a router/switch/hub that assigns IP addresses to your computers? Or are you just planning on connecting these two computers without having them plugged into such a device?

Do you know how to set an IP address on your XP box?

EDIT:

At any rate, here's an (English-- sorry) walkthrough on how to get started.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

Your Mac should be able to pick up most of its settings on its own, but you may need to enable Windows Sharing on it. This can be done through Settings | Sharing, I believe.

[ January 20, 2005, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
If the files you want to transfer aren't that big, you could just send yourself an email with them attached, then check your email on the iBook and download the files. If your PC has a CD burner, you could burn them all onto a CD and transfer them that way. If not, Scott's instructions on setting them up to do file sharing over a network is cheap and effective.

For software, you might want to get Microsoft Office for the Mac if you use Word or Excel a lot. You might want Photoshop if you do a lot of image editing. Otherwise... the iBook should have come with most of what you need, from a good email program to an Instant Message client to programs for organizing photos, editing music, and storing your mp3's. I usually just add Office, Photoshop, and Maya, and I'm good to go.

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Long time out...

I haven't switch or something like that. I wondered if we cannot connect these with a serial link or other cable (I realise that between two 486 DX 2 long time ago).

and for :
quote:
Do you know how to set an IP address on your XP box?
i have a little problem of translation. What do you mean by XP box ?

Thank you guys for the link and for your comments about what i need. I already looked the applications i have. It's cool ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
XP box = Computer running Windows XP

I don't think that connecting the two boxes with a serial cable would get you what you wanted. If you have a crossover cable, then that could be done-- they're about $10 from a computer store.

You'll still need to set the IP for the two boxes.
Set a Static IP address for Windows XP

Setting up a Static IP address for Mac OS X (Panther)

Keep in mind that the IP addresses for the boxes need to be similar: 192.168.12.6 and 192.168.12.7, for example. And the subnets need to be equal-- both 255.255.255.0, for example.

I don't think this will mess up your internet connectivity-- your Internet Service Provider should reset your IP any time you log in. If you have problems though, you can just change the settings back to automatic.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

For Choobak's sake, "box" is very much a slang term for computer, and in the US, only nerds would know what you meant. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I resent that. I know what "box" refers to in that context...er...never mind.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Hey, Dag..... onlydorkssaywhat!
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
He doesn't need a crossover cable I don't think. Apple ethernet cards are autosensing and switch appropriately.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, Dag..... onlydorkssaywhat!
Apparantly they do. [Razz]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Aw, shucks. [Razz]
Choobak
Member # 7083

The Apple ethernet card is so interesting ? Can i link my PC with it ?

Ok for XP box. I know how to set an IP adresse On my PC. I do that several time before when i was in school residence.

Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a few different ways you can transfer your data:

Do you have broadband?

If so, it's most likely that your connection to the broadband modem was using an ethernet cable that plugged into your XP machine.

If not, you may not have a network card on your PC, which would make connecting using networking quite a good deal harder.

___

If you have a USB memory stick, these often work cross-platform; and even if they don't work straight away it's very easy to make them work.

___

If you have a CD burner in your PC, you could just copy the files across that way - make sure that the CD is in ISO9660 format, with the "joliet" option turned on.

____

If you have a firewire port on your PC, you could connect the Mac via Firewire. You'd need an additional peice of software like MacOpener, but you can boot your iBook while holding down the "t" key, setting it to "Firewire Target Disk Mode" which would allow it to look like a big external hard drive to your PC.

____

That's just a few of the ways. Feel free to ask if any seem likely.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

thanks !! i'll try some of your solution this evening.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.