FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I've done it

Author Topic: I've done it
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I have officially mastered the art of the three hour, seven page research paper. I've done it twice this week. One turned out great, the other one...well...we'll see. I probably shouldn't be proud of this, but I suppose it will help to have this skill whenever I have a research paper that I really don't care about while I'm really sick of going to school (In other words, probably next fall and winter).
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Now if you can cut it down to a 30-minute, 15-inch article, you can be an underpaid journalist!
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
That's how I learned to write fiction. The only difference? In fiction, no footnotes.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I get inhibited when trying to write fiction - thinking I'm not creative enough. Same problem with articles, except first-person.

And, not organized enough - I would have to work on it - to write research papers.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

I do the same thing with my short stories. I can get a full 10 page story done in 2 hours...Only problem is it's always first draft quality stuff. The hard part is always getting myself to sit down and re-write it having figured out what the story actually IS.

Oh yeah, Cay, I've done that before. Except it was for the school paper, so I was actually an unpaid journalist [Smile]

[ April 15, 2005, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
The only difference? In fiction, no footnotes.
Which is why I'm glad I'm not going into research writing as a profession [Smile]
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Actually, as soon as I made that first post, I thought to myself, "well, that was redundant." (underpaid journalist)
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
30 minutes, Boris, 30 minutes. Keep trying. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The difficult thing is finding three hours to myself to write the fiction.

I've got three hours of free time, but they're interspersed out through the whole day in 10 minute increments.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.