FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Feds Shock: Overweight is Good, Lower Death Rate...

Author Topic: Feds Shock: Overweight is Good, Lower Death Rate...
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
FEDS SHOCK: OVERWEIGHT IS GOOD, LOWER DEATH RATE...

Huh? This seems strange. I wonder how many of the other things higher up in the chart are because of obesity. Sort of like how excess smoking and drinking causes so many other problems like cancer and heart disease but lots of time doesn’t get the credit. Wonder what the motivation here is?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
That study was done with the BMI. The BMI doesn't really show if you are overweight or not. It classifies most professional athletes as obese.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a more accurate study with more recent data is the motivation?

"Overweight is Good"--it doesn't say that anywhere on the linked article. Huh. I wonder what your motivation is?

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

quote:
Under current government standards, a BMI, or weight-to-height measurement, of 25 or higher is overweight; 30 and above is obese.
from Jay's article. Most pro atheletes have a BMI of greater than 30? I find that hard to believe.

edit:changed impossible to hard.

[ April 19, 2005, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Modern medicine is probably a large part of the decreased risk from obesity. Without my BP medicine, I would be at high risk for heart disease due to being overweight.
quote:
A related study, also in Wednesday's JAMA, found that overweight Americans are healthier than ever, thanks to better maintenance of blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Drugs solve all our problems!
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jay secretly really really wants to be Drudge.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I never put much stock in BMI. You’d think they’d use something a little more precise like body fat %. And now that you can get scales that do this with a decent accuracy for a decent price, you’d think they’d stress it a bit more.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Muscle weighs so much more than fat. You can be a short ball of muscle -- totally healthy -- and have a BMI that says you're obese very easily.

Jay's right here, body fat index is a much better indicator.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
PS Jay stole the headline from Drudge -- the bias/inaccuracy is Drudge's; all Jay's guilty of is mindless obsequiousness
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
all Jay's guilty of is mindless obsequiousness
Still a major crime in my book.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Ahh, I was confused about the definition of BMI, which is why I edited above. Thanks for clarifying.
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how Drudge took away anything from this article about obesity being good. It says right in the first paragraph that it's still the number 7 cause of death.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The new analysis found that obesity -- being extremely overweight -- is indisputably lethal. But like several recent smaller studies, it found that people who are modestly overweight actually have a lower risk of death than those of normal weight.

Biostatistician Mary Grace Kovar, a consultant for the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center in Washington, said "normal" may be set too low for today's population. Also, Americans classified as overweight are eating better, exercising more and managing their blood pressure better than they used to, she said.

Obesity Dangers overstated by government, CDC says
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
NFL protests BMI - says professional athletes are not obese

I saw a similar article on CNN originally, but this is pretty close.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a similar article to the one in the original post today accompanying the new food pyramid. The gist I got was that "they" are now saying that the "normal" by which so many of us are rated overweight or obese is by no means normal and in fact may be dangerously underweight for modern lifestyles. So if and when "they" get around to adjusting "normal" to take into account 21st century life (i.e. urban life), we'd find out that we're a lot less overweight than we currently think we are.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless they have made major improvements, those bodyfat scales aren't very accurate. Skinfold measurement is cheaper and more accurate.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Biostatistician Mary Grace Kovar, a consultant for the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center in Washington, said "normal" may be set too low for today's population. Also, Americans classified as overweight are eating better, exercising more and managing their blood pressure better than they used to, she said.
Indeed. This is a step in the right direction, I believe, but I still wait for the day when we realize that normal for one is dangerously underweight for another.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.