FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The War On Drugs...Coming Soon To Your Pharmacy

Author Topic: The War On Drugs...Coming Soon To Your Pharmacy
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
This is just absurd...

No More Sudafed Without Prescription

I understand the desire to do something about the growiung meth problem, but requiring a doctor's appointment, visit, and prescription just to get cold medicine is a knee-jerk reaction that will cause harm and duress to normal people, especially those that have no insurance... [Mad]

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Kansas and Oklahoma already have laws that keep Sudafed (and others with those ingredients) behind the pharmacy counter. You don't have to have a prescription, but you have to go up to the counter to order it, and sign for it, and you have a limit to the quantity you can buy.

Because so much was getting stolen/shoplifted from stores for meth.

It's a bad problem.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree that this is a little bit extreme. Plus, it affects me because I live in Oregon *shrugs*.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I sincerely understand the desire to do something about the problem, but requiring a prescription is just ridiculous.

I see no problem with keeping it behind the pharmacy, as long as the pharmacy is open during store hourse. The limits on how many can be purchased at once make sense, but being required to order it and sign for it seem too intrusive to me.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to buy some the other week. I had to sign for it at the pharmacy. It's pretty ridiculous. (My husband has bad sinus problems.)

I don't really care that I have to ask at the pharmacy for it, but I hate the idea that we'd have to get a prescription. Do they have any idea how much doctor visits cost?!

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Also, the guy who worked in the pharmacy made a comment that the people who make meth just get a prescription from their doctors anyway. (I guess for a larger amount.)

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I'm so tired of our entire culture right now... We've become so reactionary that we no longer consider the ramifications of our actions...
As soon as we identify a problem, we make a law. Nevermind that it doesn't address the root cause of the problem, and has a detrimental effect on ordinary law-abiding citizens. We have to be seen as doing something, taking some action, just to perpetuate the myth that everything is under control...

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that all these measures to make it more difficult to create meth are good ideas.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Porteiro, I don't make meth. I also don't grow pot. Should we require that people order and sign for potting soil, UV lights, and gardening equipment to make sure that no one else grows pot?
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that insurance companies didn't fight this (I assume). Isn't this going to cost them a lot of money?

Also, as is my understanding, a lot of drug addicts (those addicted to painkillers, etc.) "doctor-hop" to get their perscriptions filled. I just wonder how effective this measure will be in the long run.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I sincerely understand the desire to do something about the problem, but requiring a prescription is just ridiculous.

I see no problem with keeping it behind the pharmacy, as long as the pharmacy is open during store hours.

I agree.
quote:
The limits on how many can be purchased at once make sense, but being required to order it and sign for it seem too intrusive to me.
I disagree -- why is signing for it a big deal? (I'm also not entirely convinced it is useful but that's another story.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The limits on how many can be purchased at once make sense, but being required to order it and sign for it seem too intrusive to me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree -- why is signing for it a big deal? (I'm also not entirely convinced it is useful but that's another story.)

Rivka,
Unless this information is consolidated, cross-referenced, and utilized by some central agency it isn't useful to anyone. If it is being cross-referenced and utilized by an agency, then my privacy to treat a cold is being intruded upon without due process. [Big Grin]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Porteiro, I don't make meth. I also don't grow pot.
Me neither.
quote:
Should we require that people order and sign for potting soil, UV lights, and gardening equipment to make sure that no one else grows pot?
I don't think so.

But I still don't think that these Sudafed restrictions are unreasonable.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I use sudafed to help fight my migraines. If I start needing a prescription for this I'm gonna be pissed.

I can't even go into the store and stock up on them because they'll think I have a methlab at home. grr.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
But I still don't think that these Sudafed restrictions are unreasonable.
Some restrictions are reasonable (i.e. put them being the counter, limit number of purchases).

Requiring a prescription for an over the counter drug is unreasonable.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Requiring a prescription for an over the counter drug is unreasonable.
By definition, if it requires a perscription, it is not over the counter.

But I see now that I misunderstood you, HT. Requiring a perscription is slightly over the line IMO.

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) is one of the only over the counter drugs that I have been completely convinced that its actually doing something for me.

Have terrible sinus pressure and runny/clogged nose? Take a sudafed, and it clears up within twenty minutes. Then when the symptoms come back, its in almost exactly 4 hours, when the box says to take it again. Really great stuff.

Now I haven't gotten many prescription meds in my life, but would this require that I actually go to the doctor and have him look at me before I could buy Sudafed? (if this were my state)

If so, I would NOT be happy. Could I just call my doctor and have him write the script? Blow my nose over the phone or something?

I agree that this is over the line.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

What complicates the situation for those of us with children is that generally the stores that are open at 3:00 A.M. (when you will inevitably need the medicine) don't have pharmacies that will be open.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a reformulated Sudafed that is (and will be) available over the counter. Look for Sudafed PE. It should be right where the Sudafed was. And if Sudafed was effective for you, then the reformulation is supposed to work also.

My concern is that with the cost of gasoline being what it is, all those trips across the border to buy Sudafed is really going to cut into the profit margin of my Methamphetamine factory. This is practically obstruction of trade. Any corporate lawyer-types out there who can give me some advice?

[Wink] (The winking graemlin is to indicate that the above paragraph was meant in a satiric light, and not to be taken to indicate that I endorse the illegal manufacture or trafficking of drugs. That is all. End of disclaimer)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Indiana has all products containing it stored in the pharmacy now, and while it's moderately inconvenient, it really isn't a big deal. If they start requiring prescriptions, though, that would be very annoying.

I don't go to the doctor for every little sniffle I have. Heck, I don't go to the doctor unless I think it's something major (and yes, I know that's not the best way of proceeding, but, eh). Bleah.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that requiring a prescription is ridiculous. Fortunately, this is not law yet. It still must pass the Oregon senate. This morning, I called my senator to ask him to vote against it. It was the first time I called any politician about anything.

Hooray for the democratic process!

(And boo for the stupid people who make meth. It's a nasty drug. And they're ruining things for everyone else.)

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I saw before and after pictures of meth users in some magazine the other day.

They should be enough to make anyone NOT try it.

-Katarain

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
There is already a reformulated version of Sudafed OTC without a prescription. The new version contains phenylephrine instead of pseudoephredrine. The latter is what can be converted to methamphetamine. Phenylephrine CANNOT be converted to meth and is therefore the replacement to the older version of Sudafed.

Actually, this is not the first time for a decongestant to go through an overhaul. P.P.A. containing products were pulled a few years ago. Guess what manufacturers replaced them with? Pseudoephredrine.

All we have done is move the older Sudafed to a behind-the-counter location. You can buy it without a prescription and do not have to sign for it in PA.

So come on down! Pay me a visit and I will even cut you a deal...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Drug dealer... [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
P.P.A. containing products were pulled a few years ago.
Yes, but that was for safety reasons, neh? Worries that the drug could cause serious side effects? Anyway, I find that the reformulated products are NOT as good as the old stuff.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka,

You are absolutely right about the PPA recall. As far as phenylephrine, it is a decongestant that has widely been reserved for prescription-only RX products until now. And, of course, the prescription drugs are ALWAYS better than the OTC stuff, right?

Kwea,

You frickin rock, my friend. Hope life is treating you and your family well! [Smile]

P.S. I was sorry to see PPA go. Personally, I thought it was the best oral decongestant of the bunch. [Mad]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Kleenex is still my favorite.

Sudafed makes me super-jumpy and racy and high. Why they bother cooking it down into methamphetamine is beyond me; it seems fine just the way it is straight out of the box.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Things are going well, Alucard, JenniK has her audition with Disney in Aug, so we may be moving to FL soon.... [Big Grin]

I hope you are doing well too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
As far as phenylephrine, it is a decongestant that has widely been reserved for prescription-only RX products until now. And, of course, the prescription drugs are ALWAYS better than the OTC stuff, right?
I am going to assume that is sarcasm. [Wink] In my experience, for me personally, OTC decongestants and antihistamines work better than or equally well as the prescription stuff -- at least if we're talking about pills. The (very expensive!) prescription spray I use for my allergies these days doesn't work as quickly as the OTC stuff, but it has almost no side effects (for me -- my mom had significant side effects with the same drug), and doesn't cause severe rebound within 2-3 days of use. Instead, it makes my allergies gradually disappear over the course of week. Before this, an attack could easily trigger 3-4 weeks of symptoms.
quote:
P.S. I was sorry to see PPA go. Personally, I thought it was the best oral decongestant of the bunch. [Mad]
Agreed!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.