FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » External Hard Drive Help... Please...

Author Topic: External Hard Drive Help... Please...
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
So I removed the hard drive from my laptop, put it in a case and plugged it into my new computer. I can access all the users documents but the primary users (mine). It says access is denied. What can I do to get around this? Also, it has software (Adobe photoshop) on it that I'd like to run on this different PC. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance...

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Domini
Member # 3880

- posted      Profile for Domini   Email Domini         Edit/Delete Post 
What operating system are you using? (Windows xp, windows 2000, what?)

My first guess would be that you'll need to hook it back up to the laptop, and navigate to the folder that's giving you trouble (the access denied), and right-click on it, and go to properties, and look at the permissions. I'm guessing the permissions from the laptop are what are causing the access denied thing on the new computer.

As for software...navigate to the folder of the software and look for the executable (file ending in .exe). Double-click it to try it. It may or may not work and launch the program...some programs do, others might not. I'm guessing for Adobe you may have to reinstall it on the new computer so it can create entries in the registry and do all the stuff it needs to do.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FrogGirl
Member # 8747

- posted      Profile for FrogGirl   Email FrogGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I can give it a shot here...

I have not tryed this w/ hard drives using windows xp but w/ older versions. Assuming your using windows, you may be having a problem seeing the files because they were protected under the windows xp user accounts. If you are using the hardrive as a 2ndary or slave hd i would suggest switching the jumper cables and booting the computer/operating system from the old hard drive (may need to change the pins on the back of the harddrive as well). but try using the old one as the master hard drive. If anything you will be able to access them and copy them to the new hd.

Good Luck!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
The external hard drive screwed up with my brother's PC. None of us could solve it. I wish you better luck.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.