FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Saturday night's all right for skipping

Author Topic: New column: Saturday night's all right for skipping
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday night's all right for skipping

Facing an evening of badly edited 3rd-run movies and marathons of TV shows from earlier in the week? You must be watching Saturday night network programming! Or, most likely, you're not, which is the whole problem.

Saturday night was once a highly coveted time slot with "Gunsmoke," "Mission: Impossible," "Fantasy Island," "Golden Girls," "All in the Family," "M*A*S*H," "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," "The Carol Burnett Show," "Love Boat," and many other popular shows your grandparents watched because premium channels hadn't been invented yet and they didn't know any better. But in the last five years Saturday night network viewership has dropped 39 percent, largely because of the wide range of entertainment options available and because most of the really interesting crooks on "America's Most Wanted" have been caught by now.

Some channels are using this barren weekly wasteland to re-broadcast marathons of popular shows you might have missed the first, second, or third time around ("Just like TiVo, with twice the commercials!"). Some show "Armageddon" over and over. Some just display images of network executives weeping. But some channels, like ABC, are stepping up to the challenge.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Block Party" -- a stop-motion, action-adventure show made entirely with Legos. Actually, that would be pretty cool.
I'd watch it. My Brother and I made endless shorts with Lego. [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
But, if the shorts were endless they wouldn't really be "shorts"... *head explodes*

How about a cutting-edge new debate program that's actually just actors reading off the latest arguement here on Hatrack? That'd be more entertaining and more informative than Crossfire and the like.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be hilarious. Especially since half way through the show it would disolve into a discussion of potato chips or the like.

[Wink]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Two of the suggestions deleted for space:

"Smile!" – Our camera crew travels around Los Angeles and New York City secretly following and filming all the other camera crews filming reality shows, prank shows, and provocative entertainer biographies. Hijinks ensue.

"Mail Order Bride" – Watch as our hopeful bachelors find out if what they’ve ordered from overseas Web sites matches reality in any manner whatsoever. Will they get a lovely Russian maiden? A 13-year-old Laotian boy? Who knows? Tune in and see!

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

I think maybe the AP has your office monitored.

How else do we explain this?:

Saturday night is dead

I'm pretty sure this has happened before, but it wasn't a time I could run and check for an article. I think it's time to find the monitoring equipment and then lawyer up so you can sue for the theft of intellectual property.

The worst part is that the AP article is cr@p compared to your column. [Mad]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, now I have Elton John stuck in my head.

*shakes fist at Chris Bridges*

Curse you!

Good article. I can't even remember the last time I watched tv. Why bother, when anything good will come out on dvd eventually anyway?

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be the lead female in "The Desk"!!! [Smile]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

That story, or one like it, is what I read Monday that inspired the column.
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] That was brilliant Chris.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.