FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » what's wrong with this story?

Author Topic: what's wrong with this story?
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Investigators say 93-year-old Ralph Parker hit a pedestrian on 34th Street and 46th Avenue South on Wednesday night. He then he drove three miles with the victim's body lodged in the windshield...

Parker told officers he thought a body fell from the sky. Police say he will probably not face criminal charges, because he was unaware he was in an accident.

Pedestrian lodged in windshield

I do hope he at least loses his license. I'm still trying to figure what the worst part of this story is...

the fact that he still had his license even though he apparently can't see?

or

the fact that he continued to drive for three miles with a body in his windshield?

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JannieJ
Member # 8683

- posted      Profile for JannieJ   Email JannieJ         Edit/Delete Post 
What bothers me is that he is operating a car when he is apparently a danger to the public while behind the wheel. How do they determine if someone of that age is fit to drive?
Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm okay with him not facing criminal charges for the hit-and-run aspect, but somebody please tell me he's still going to lose his license for this. If he can hit somebody and not even be aware of it he does not need to be driving any longer.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
It's things like these that makes me wish that there was legislation in place that forces mandatory driving tests for the purpose of renewing licenses, or something along those lines. Poeple nowadays are wary of teen drivers (as shown by laws such as the 6 months rule (scroll down)), and for a good reason, too, but they forget that there are other age groups that can potentially cause a danger on the roads.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
How could you not be aware of an accident when there's a body in your windshield?! I'm sorry, but bodies don't fall from the sky. It's as believable to me as saying "I thought the aliens were trying to teleport him into my car and missed".
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
This is scary. I can't imagine how anyone remotely competent to drive could overlook a body lodged in his windshield or the *impact* necessary to lodge the person there.

I really hope he never drives again.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
"The toll booth operator thought it was a prank, until he saw the blood."

I am both horrified and horribly amused at the mental image this conjures. I mean, just think about being that Toll Booth operator, and seeing a realy old man driving through your booth with a bloody body lodged in his widshield, acting like absolutely nothing was wrong. I cant stop laughing at the mental picture of his face, but then I feal really guilty...

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here's the thing.
What bothers me THE MOST about this story is that, even though someone was hurt, I could not stop giggling. The image just got stuck in my head, Mr. Magoo was a part of the image, and there you have it. Me. Evil incarnate.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, heck.
He died, I did not read that. I cannot retract my initial reaction, though.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, foundling, thank you! I am not alone in my evil inner thinking!
JannieJ
Member # 8683

- posted      Profile for JannieJ   Email JannieJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:
How could you not be aware of an accident when there's a body in your windshield?! I'm sorry, but bodies don't fall from the sky. It's as believable to me as saying "I thought the aliens were trying to teleport him into my car and missed".

Exactly. It's not just his eyesight, his thinking seems pretty befuddled as well. And why on earth keep driving, however the body supposedly got there?
Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
OK...

1. How sadistic is it that I want to see a picture of the windshield with the body still in it...

2. If a body fell from the sky, I think i'd be bailing out of my car before something bigger fell on my car...

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.