FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Proof that I really am insane: Another HatrackCon? (Aug 20 -- or thereabouts)

Author Topic: Proof that I really am insane: Another HatrackCon? (Aug 20 -- or thereabouts)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't had a big multi-clump Hatrack gathering for awhile. And Xavier, Val, and Kama are all already thinking about coming out here for WorldCon this summer (which is August 23-27). And at least a couple other people seemed slightly interested at the notion of coming to SoCal this August.

*deep breath*

Soooo . . . if I were crazy enough to volunteer ( [Angst] ) to do the bulk of the planning, research, etc. . . . who all might consider joining us? I'm thinking sometime during the few days prior. Possibly the weekend before, if people who want to attend Worldcon can stay out here that long.

We can call it KamaCon II: AJ's Revenge. [Wink]

[ October 23, 2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh. I'd totally consider it, if I could convince my parents to provide the funds.

When in August?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

^ see edit. Yeah, dates! I knew I was forgetting something. [Blushing]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I start school that week, if I'm still an undergrad. I don't know if I'm in grad school.

Grrrr.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It's not the best time for me either, although not as bad as the following week. But I doubt WorldCon will change their dates. [Wink]
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be interested in going if it was earlier in the summer, but my classes start on August 23 next year, so I couldn't go if it was the 23-27. [Frown]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! That's around the time when I usually try to take a vacation . . . hmmm . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm actually suggesting that this be before WorldCon. Perhaps August 20-22? Or if most people need it to be a weekend AND the WorldCon attendees can stay for that long, maybe August 18-20?
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin*

I give you permission not to call it kamacon this time [Wink]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think it'd be feasible for me. Vacation time is going to be really tight next year, despite the fact that I have rather a lot of it. You might be able to catch me en route to New Zealand sometime later in the year; I should be taking the trip I had to defer this past winter, and I'll be stopping in Vancouver, San Diego, or LA again both en route and when returning.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. First rule of advertising: Feature your big-name guest's name prominently. [Big Grin]
Kama
Member # 3022

can't plan dates until next year, really.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

twink, I have a suspicion LAX security is not going to be happy if we try to convene actually IN the airport . . . [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok. Possible big-name guest. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

[Razz]

If there was a chance of meeting people (you, saxon75, Pop, et cetera), I'd just arrange things so I had at least half a day's stopover in San Diego or LA.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

*giggle*
Kama
Member # 3022

*reads up*

I'm an et caetera?

rivka
Member # 4859

twink, that sounds great. [Smile] Regardless of whether the rest of this works out, I'd like that.

Actually, I remember when it was possible to just hang out at the airport. In my circles, it was actually a common date spot. (In NYC there was a joke that you had to get engaged after no more than 3 dates. After all, after that, you ran out of airports . . . [Wink] )

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Kama:
*reads up*

I'm an et caetera?

[Razz]

No. I'm not going to be there in August on this trip, it'll almost certainly be about this time of year. When I was going to be there in February, those three (plus Mooselet!) were the ones who said they might be able to meet me somewhere near LAX.

Added: rivka, when it's time for me to be making travel reservations, I'll post about it and we'll see if it'll work. [Smile]

Kama
Member # 3022

oh.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I'm sorry but Xavier and I cannot afford to stay in L.A. for 10 days. The hotel costs alone will kill us. I don't think Xavier's work will let him be gone so long either.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We're in, two children and all-- barring serious illness. At least for weekend and evening stuff, don't know if Jeff will have any vacation time left after we have a baby in the spring. And we have a couch and a twin inflatable mattress, although I don't know if anyone will want to stay with us and a two-year-old and an infant and two cats with one bathroom in 750 square feet, and parking is horrible where we live, and we won't have room in the car to give people rides. But I'm just putting that out there. Also, my dad is usually happy to put friends of mine up even if he's never met them. Even if I've never met them. And he has a lot more space than us, only one cat, no small children, parking space, and one twin and one full bed to spare.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*nod* I was afraid of that, Val. It makes sense! How long do you expect to be in town? And are you planning to attend all of WorldCon?
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Well, we're not really sure. Neither of us has ever been to a WorldCon and we're not sure what to expect.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
If I don't suddenly decide on grad school, I might be able to [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
If it were earlier in the month it's possible that I could make it--I'm going to be in Albequerque for my brother's wedding on the 6th of August. I realize that with Worldcon being when it is, though, that there would be no way to move the date up that dramatically.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Did Xavier mention in his thread that the only reason we're going is to see George R.R. Martin (too lazy to check)? So, what ever day(s) he is there, we will be as well.
rivka
Member # 4859

*eyes cross*

Let's try this again.

Val . . . you do know he's not listed on the WorldCon site as a guest, neh?

Ser Bronn Stone
Member # 8759

- posted      Profile for Ser Bronn Stone   Email Ser Bronn Stone         Edit/Delete Post 
GRRM has attended every WorldCon going back to the 70's. He meets with his fans on a regular basis.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Good to know. [Smile] Google did tell me that he has attended several, but did not make it clear that he always does.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Chances are good that I will be moving into the dorms somewhere around the 18th, since classes start on the 21st.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[Wave]
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I could probably show up.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.