FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Reporting live from a virtual world

Author Topic: New column: Reporting live from a virtual world
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Reporting live from a virtual world

I was sitting in an exotic night spot, watching brightly dressed dancers gyrate to the pounding beat of whatever the latest pop tune was. And, as usual in these situations, I was sitting off to the side and talking to the other non-dancer.

The part that wasn't usual was that I was actually sitting at my computer, watching a 3D avatar of myself talk to another 3D avatar in the online game Second Life. The look and feel of the place was much as if I had been playing Grand Theft Auto but decided to abandon my stolen car and just go clubbing for awhile. My new buddy, Schnorkie, was a pleasant-looking 20-ish blonde woman, apparently.

"Hey, welcome to SL. It's the next big thing, you know?"

"How could it be the next big thing when it's been around for three years," I asked.

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, especially the ending.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurray, it's Wednesday!

*thumbsup*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
reading that reminded me of Snow Crash
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
There is, unsurprisingly, a large number of Snow Crash fans in there [Smile]
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
How easy is it to get a katana and a motorcycle?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of Snow Crash too.

So how long before they get VM to the sharpness that you'll be able to do what they do in Snow Crash? That's the point that I'll have to check it out, I think.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I picked up a katana for free at one of the junkyards. Also a watermelon gun [Smile]

Haven't looked for a motorcycle but they're in there. I'm saving up for spacecraft.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost setup an entropia account to see if I could make money doing it since I spend so much time in World of Warcraft. I havent got around to installing the game but I have an account.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
erm, I just don't get it. [Dont Know] What is the attraction? (Other than meeting "sexy" "singles" in your area?)
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The scripting language is robust enough that you can create more or less anything you can imagine.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a good region to visit?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ignorant all the link does is take me to a daytona beach site?

Never mind I figured it out.

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Could I start a cemetery there?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I see virtual dead people!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

LOL [Laugh]

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I see virtual dead people!

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

I couldn't get a single perosnt o talk to me in there. I did see this wierd looking dragon person though, crazy stuff.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I see that you can have a free basic account but it mentioned something as a 7 day free trial. Does that mean after 7 days if I had a basic account (non premium or whatever) do I have to have a monthly payment?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you give them a credit card number when you signed up? I didn't and I didn't get the message about a 7 day trial. Probably, they are trying to get you to like the premium version enough to start paying out, whereas with someone who seemed less than interested in paying up front they didn't bother with me. It's supposed to be totally free if all you want is the basic version.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I was only looking over the FAQ. Im guessing then, if I choose the free basic,then I'm good.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
When I signed up last fall, the deal was that after your free 7-day trial you could either pay $10 for a lifetime membership or start paying a monthly fee for a "premium" membership (which gave you income in the game's currency as well as the ability to buy virtual land).
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Is it possible to play the game and have fun with no currency? Can one make aquire currency without a premium account?
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
The first basic account is totally free. Adding a second basic account costs a one-time fee of ten bucks. If you've had your first account for over a month, I think, you get a 7-day free trial on the second.

One can indeed play the game and have fun without currency, and acquire currency without a premium account. There are events held regularly at which you can win money or prizes; I participate in a few trivia games, myself. And freebie items abound: clothes, vehicles, parachutes... you name it.

Socializing and dancing and so on are free. Building things is free, though there's a nominal fee ($L10, or about four cents) for uploading textures. Owning land or renting mall space costs money. Buying particularly spiffy items costs money. Placing classified ads costs money, and running events will probably cost you money in one way or another, at least in the short run. Generally speaking, it takes money to make money or to get the coolest toys, but people can and do hang around without spending a dime.

(For my part, I spent about twenty bucks getting myself outfitted well at the outset, and have pretty much managed to get by without paying any more "real" money since; the amount I make in-game covers my in-game expenses.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

The appeal for me is much like The Sims in that I can control my environment and design whatever I like. Except moreso, here, since I can create stuff from scratch instead of relying on The Sims designers to make things for me.
Few video games have much attraction for me. The only games I've spent any appreciable time on at all have been various incarnations of Sims, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, and the Hitchhiker's Guide game. All of them emphasize problem solving. Wading towards the beach at Normandy, leading your SWAT team to secure a hostage situation, or stealing cars never holds my interest for more than a half hour or so. I like making stuff.

And the social aspect makes it work. Not just the chatting -- you can get that with Sims Online or World of Warcraft or any other MMORPG. And that's what a lot of people join for, the interaction.
But if you're building a home or a shop or a Ferris wheel, everyone around you is also building their own little dream worlds. And sometime you can hook up with a bunch of people and build something together. I've met a lot of interesting people [Smile] Spent some time last night wandering through a Firefly ship, in fact...

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the kind of game that someone who's a klutz at computers would like? I started an account, but I can't seem to figure out how to do anything.

And I lost my hair.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Angst]
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry blacwolve, I lost my BODY! I just made an account after reading this article, to see what it's all about, and in tying to change my outfit I somehow ended up as just a floating head. I can't even figure out how to move!

[Wall Bash] <-- my disembodied head, wishing it could move.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice article, Chris.

quote:
I can create stuff from scratch
How, exactly, is this done? Do you have to code something? Or is there an interface with paint/draw/render tools? If so, what's it like?

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Could I start a cemetery there?

I bet you could. I bet you could buy real estate there and instead of interring dead bodies you could sell monument and memorial space. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see people buying virtual grave space for a loved one - human, pet, or even something intangeable like burying a grievance, or buying a plot for the death of Rock and Roll, or something.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

The learning curve is a bit steep -- expect to spend a week getting your virtual legs -- but it's extremely versatile once you get the hang of it.

I recommend hanging around Help Island for a bit if you haven't already left. It has helpful hints and volunteers eager to give advice on just about anything. If you've already joined the main world, New Citizen's Plaza and The Shelter are both great places for newbies. Search the Places for both. There are also many free classes; I can personally vouch for the ones at Teazers U. Do an Events search and check out the Education category.

In general, one of the things I like about the place is that the natives tend to be friendly. If something's giving you trouble, ask around. There are a few bad apples, as in any group, but most people are approachable and willing to help.

For an advanced demonstration of what the in-game building tools can do, check out the making of Suzanne's guitar.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

The ingame tools aren't easy to jump in and learn, but you pick it up fairly quickly.

I created a Jayne hat, after some struggling.

In Photoshop, I created four different textures by making a 512x512 square filled with the image I wanted to use. One for the fuzzy ball, one for the yellow yarn, one for the orange, and one for the red. They needed to be slightly different in feel or I could have made just one yarn texture and then changed the color each time later.
In SL, I uploaded the textures.
I selected Create from my options and starting making shapes (prims, for "primatives") by pointing at the ground and clicking. Immediately a prim appears, along with a control panel with the prim's current stats. Once a prim is created -- a cube, a sphere, a pyramid, a cylinder, a torus, etc -- you can select it and either use your mouse to reshape and position it or use the dialogue boxes in the control panel to adjust everything precisely. You then click on the Texture option to apply your texture to that prim, or to specific sides of the prim.
In this case I wanted to be more complicated, so I made the fuzzy ball and the yarn strings flexible so I could apply wind, gravity, tension, etc, with the result that as you move around the ball flexes a bit and the strings move realistically. This sort of thing is used a lot to make hair that moves and skirts that swirl.
Got everything more or less right, and then selected all the individual parts and linked them together.
Later I attached it to my head and adjusted it to fit properly without my hair showing through. Once I was done I could remove it and reattach it and it will always go back to the same position. If I give or sell the hat to someone else, they'll have to adjust it to fit their own avatar.

All of this sounds much more reasonable if you're actually doing it, or watching someone else do it [Smile]

If you want your prims to do something you can add scripts, but I don't know a thing about writing those yet. Fortunately there are any number of free ones available (and free textures, and free objects, and...) and lots of people selling them if I need something specific.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I want that T-shirt!
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
I want that T-shirt!

In real life, or on SL?

If the former, it's here. If the latter, stay tuned.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

I'm addicted now, btw. Name is "Nathan Nowhere". I'm a flying hippy surfer with a peace sign above his head.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Shmuel: both. But I meant on SL. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.