FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pink armband of shame

Author Topic: Pink armband of shame
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Wayward police officers must wear pink armbands of shame in Bangkok:

quote:
BANGKOK: It is the pink armband of shame for wayward police officers, as cute as can be with a Hello Kitty face and a pair of linked hearts.

Park in the wrong place, come to work late or drop a bit of litter, and an officer will be decorated with the latest insignia for the Thai police, no matter how many ribbons for valor he may already wear.

link

Pretty funny. It'll be interesting to see if it works.

ETA: It said they tried tartan armbands previously, but the officers thought those were cool. Pink "Hello Kitty," on the other hand, may be an effective deterrent!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Bangkok the place where they wanted to cane the guy for graffiti on a car?

That's really weird. I wonder if they have any female police officers.

Holy Moly:

quote:
An aide, Major Weeraprach Wonrat, said the chief was a believer in behavioral science and in the "broken window theory" in which small changes can have large effects.

Pink armbands for misdemeanors are a start. Stronger measures could be next for corruption and extrajudicial killings.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
No, that's Singapore.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I should hope they wouldn't use Hello Kitty to punish capping a alleged perp.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
No, that rates My Little Ponies.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Care bears.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wasn't Bangkok the place where they wanted to cane the guy for graffiti on a car?
As eroso said, it was Singapore, and they didn't just want to do it: they did it.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
"Wasn't Bangkok the place where they wanted to cane the guy for graffiti on a car? "

No as pointed out that was Singapore, but the guy (the idiot) was from Minnesota. After he came back, he worked in a record store at the Mall of America. He wasn't interested in talking about his experience, not to anyone.

Though, I have some sympathy; I think if you are stupid enough to commit a crime in a place like Sinapore, then you are stupid enough to deserver your punishment.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.