FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "You can't take the application home with you."

Author Topic: "You can't take the application home with you."
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I was driving around today, saw a place was hiring. I went inside to get an application...and they refused to give me one. Why? Because I wanted to take it home with me, this was a walk-in...I didn't have my references and employment history handy.

I asked why I wasn't allowed to take it home

Reason Given: "Because then there's no way of knowing if you'll bring it back."

I stated that I wanted one because I -did- want to bring it back.

Reason Given: "There's no way of knowing that's true. I have only a limited amount of applications, and I don't intend to lose anymore."

By that point, I gave up.

More reason to remember to keep my reference and work history handy in the car in case of potential walk-in experiences, I guess. Still, I have to wonder if I want to work for a place that can't afford to make copies. [Razz]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
For many years, we required that the application be filled out on site. It was the best way to make sure that the applicant could read and write. Many of our classifications required that the worker follow a detailed written operating procedure. It was a safety imperative the they be able to read.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say. You probably don't want to work for a place with policies (if it was policy) or people (if it was just the person) like that.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you hiring? *tries not to sound desparate*
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Doubtful that they gave you the real reason. I knew of several companies who wouldn't allow that because "excellent written and verbal skills" meant fluent in speaking and writing English, and they were afraid that an application taken home would be filled out by someone who could read/write English for someone who couldn't. But they didn't want to admit that. Not to say that was their reason, but I think it more likely that the cost of making copies was indeed a false reason. (Edit -- or what A.T. said.)
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
It may also have been a crass way of screening out applicants who aren't really that interested.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
We are now in the process of implimenting a "paperless" system. So many of our jobs now require at least a nodding acquaintance with a computer/ keyboard, that it makes sense to have that screening up front.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it make more sense to test that sort of thing at a skills test at the interview, rather than inconveniencing everyone who applies for the job? Maybe I'm just biased because I work in an industry where skills tests are standard.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, it's been far too long since I worked for a company that accepted applications directly. But I can tell you that at the last company that did, screening for English skills was one of the reasons we were given by management. And that was over 10 years ago.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

quote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to test that sort of thing at a skills test at the interview, rather than inconveniencing everyone who applies for the job? Maybe I'm just biased because I work in an industry where skills tests are standard.
No, we are talking about a high volumn classification, and a critical skill was reading directions. It was a skills test given to all applicants as a pre-screening. I discontinued it however, when we started to have a measurable percentage of applications from off Depot sources like the Job Service offices. The guys in my office still question applications from male applicants that are filled out in a female hand. When we go paperless, we will be accepting applications from any WWW access point. So we don't have a perfect screening for basic computer familarization as the applications can still be filled out by someone else. What we really need are honest applicants.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
We have all applications filled out on a kiosk in the store, and a written test is administered on the spot as well. It is amazing the number of people who come in and can't pass a simple 30 question test on basic math and English.

We don't even have paper application these days, and haven't for years.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Seems odd to me, though I suppose it would depend on the type of company/store it was - we didn't even have applications in the store for a while, but would ask people to write their name and number on a paper plate when they asked if we were hiring.

(Incidentally, we are - anyone know people over 16 that live in southern NH and need a job?)

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My second son has Dysgraphia , and he ALWAYS asks for an application to take home so he can struggle through it on his own and get it filled out to take back. He just doesn't want them to see that it might take him 35 to 40 minutes or more to write out a simple app. He dreads looking for work just because of this process.

(these are not usually for jobs that are going to require hand-writing language skills)

However, he loves the places that have all their apps on computer/online. He can keyboard well, so that makes it much easier for him.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.