FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Card Called It

Author Topic: Card Called It
TaoJeannes
Member # 10066

- posted      Profile for TaoJeannes   Email TaoJeannes         Edit/Delete Post 
Right out of the Homecoming Saga:

http://www.ksby.com/global/story.asp?s=7111117

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Card's not the only author to have used contracted marriage with predetermined end dates. Anne McCaffrey's Coelura comes immediately to mind, and I'm sure there are more.

Not sure how I feel about it in actual practice yet...

And welcome Tao!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that how it actually IS in practice, though?

I mean, don't, like, half of marriages not last ten years?

How is making this a de jure norm any big deal, considering it's the de facto norm?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hate to be the guy who forgets to file the extension and is suddenly stuck with an expensive divorce. I mean, would the government basically come in and foreclose your marriage and make you be divorced at that point? It just sounds so costly and invasive, I can't see what the benefits are supposed to be.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Shi'ites have practiced marriage with fixed terms for centuries. It's one of the things Sunnis find really troubling about them.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
TJ, the idea that marriage has always been "for life" is a fiction repeated by people who do not know history.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I think you just broke the Prime Directive.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Really. Marriage is typically for life, but there have been recognized exceptions to this general rule in pretty much every society I can think of.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I can name one where there's no exception.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Really. Marriage is typically for life, but there have been recognized exceptions to this general rule in pretty much every society I can think of.

If marriage for life is typically the rule why does it matter if there are exceptions in every society you can think of?

In Chinese culture marriage has always been for life. Though there is not much point with divorce when you can just acquire new mistresses and ignore your wife.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

If marriage for life is typically the rule why does it matter if there are exceptions in every society you can think of?

Mainly because most people who use the argument "marriage has always been for life..." are attempting to make a rhetorical point to argue for the inviability of any other option.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom talk wise. Listen him much.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaoJeannes
Member # 10066

- posted      Profile for TaoJeannes   Email TaoJeannes         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... but that's not really connected to what my post was about. Please don't hijack the thread in order to create the argument that YOU want the thread to be about. Just start your own.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thread drift happens, Tao. Once a person has created a thread, they can't really control the directions in which it goes. In this case, if thread drift hadn't happened the thread would have died with "lots of SF authors have envisioned futures in which marriages exist for finite periods of time".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
But kudos for attempting to dictate rules on your 2nd ever post. You're going to fit in great around here!
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:

Mainly because most people who use the argument "marriage has always been for life..." are attempting to make a rhetorical point to argue for the inviability of any other option.
I suppose so, but you could also be arguing that marriage for life is a model (tentatively I'll say the only one) that stands the test of time, and is the most widespread, whereas there is no example of temp marriages prevailing or demonstrating consistant superior, or even comparable results.

Why that is, I am ignoring. Feel free to correct my claim above, I'm not sure I stand by it, but right now I can't think counter example.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Even within the lifetime marriage model there have been several different forms, often very distinctly different. Conservative Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and Hindu (as examples) lifetime marriages have substantial differences in the details, particularly the more "by the letter" you get. One could argue that each of these is a separate model in itself.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I'm saying this first!

As long as we're looking at the past, too: Lifetime marriages mean something different when the mortality rate is higher. Particularly for women in childbirth.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, the average marriage age has jumped ten years, so it isn't as big a difference as it may seem.

[ September 26, 2007, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.