FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: On the road, with half of Best Buy

Author Topic: New column: On the road, with half of Best Buy
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
On the road, with half of Best Buy

I've always prided myself on being a minimalist traveler. Going away for a month? Give me a pair of pants and two shirts -- three, if formal wear is required -- and I’m good. I'll take only as many shoes as I can comfortably wear at one time, and whatever necessary toiletries that cannot easily be gleaned from a motel bathroom, 7-11 or local shelter. I want to travel light and, short of losing weight, this is the best way about it.

There are many excellent reasons to limit your encumbrances to one bag. Packing is faster. Getting through security is almost trivial, as is getting out of the airport. You have fewer things to accidentally leave behind and startle the housekeeping staff. It’s suddenly much easier to be caught up in an exciting cross-country web of intrigue since you won't have to ask the mysterious blonde stranger to wait while you find your garment bag and collection of multi-colored totes. There’s a quiet satisfaction to be had, knowing you can stand up and go anywhere at a moment's notice.

And it’s a satisfaction I relished, before the electronic age. Now I’m finding I may have one or two extra things to haul along.

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best things about reading your articles Chris is that no matter how good they are, and this last one was fantastic, I get giddy with anticipation on how you are going to end it. You really know how to tie it together. No pun intended.
[Hat]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Actually, I find it's no longer worth it to travel light. My carry-on gets all the scrutiny, and maybe I don't want to spend an hour figuring out how to pack toiletries in such a way as to not get wrestled to the ground by TSA. So, whereas I used to travel with just a carry-on, these days I go ahead and check luggage. Seems like I could bring a rifle collection along, if I check it in.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't trust the baggage trolls, based on stories from airline employees and my own case of bad luck. The last time I flew, I packed everything into my carry-on.

Good thing it was summer, and shorts were in order. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I was only going to be in town for two days all together, so I went with two shirts plus the shirt and jeans I was wearing, plus some socks and the shoes on my feet. But I was chuckling to myself at the amount of electronics I felt compelled to bring along...

When we vacationed a few months ago we each took tote bags for our clothing and backpacks for our personal stuff -- neither of us pack very heavy -- and carried both onboard. I hate checking luggage.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My carry-on gets all the scrutiny, and maybe I don't want to spend an hour figuring out how to pack toiletries in such a way as to not get wrestled to the ground by TSA. So, whereas I used to travel with just a carry-on, these days I go ahead and check luggage.
LOL! This is what I felt like waiting to go through security during our recent trip while TSA inspected and swabbed and wanded and probed (and heaven only knows what else) the carry-on of someone ahead of me. I felt rather silly having to take off my flip flops to go through security and commiserated with a poor confused elderly gentleman in front of me that they would soon have us all go through naked. [Big Grin]

I had to chuckle to myself as my husband and I packed up all our gadgets for our recent trip. We each had our own cell phones, pdas, and ipods (but we could share the chargers for each of those, luckily). Then we also had our digital camera (which did get used for taking pictures of our niece's birthday party), our laptop (good for watching movies on the plane), and hubby's pager (for work to page him in their dire need). Without all our technoumbilicals, I think we might perish.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.