FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pinch of Herbs

Author Topic: Pinch of Herbs
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Lawry's used to make a spice mixture called "Pinch of Herbs". It's extraordinarily yummy. About a year or so ago, it disappeared off the shelves at the supermarket, and it hasn't returned. Turns out it has a long shelf life, because according to the customer service lady at Lawry's, they discontinued it 3.5 years ago. I still have a tiny bit left in my last container.

The stuff is amazing. And I'm irked. But I was wondering whether any of you had ever run across a recipe for recreating it. The ingredients list sesame seeds, salt, sugar, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, modified food starch, natural flavors and garlic.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a recipe for it, but you might try combining sesame seeds, salt, sugar, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme and garlic.

Oh, and a dash of cayenne, 'cause, what the heck?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, and coriander seeds. Coriander seed help all and hinder none (cumin is similar - though I recommend ground from seed.)
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I don't have a recipe for it, but you might try combining sesame seeds, salt, sugar, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme and garlic.

Oh, that's cute! You forgot the modified food starch, though. And proportions probably make a difference.

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Oh, and a dash of cayenne, 'cause, what the heck?

Yeah... I think it'd be good if it actually tasted the same. Cayenne pepper rocks, but then, so does chocolate. A place for everything, and everything in its place.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
How good are you at picking out different flavors from a blend? If you're able to do that, you probably could play around with different proportions of the listed spices to find a blend that tastes (pretty much) the same.

I tried looking on ebay for the real thing, because I could probably find the right mix by taste. Didn't find any, but I'll keep looking.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
You forgot the modified food starch, though.

I didn't forget. I deliberately left it out. I'm not exactly sure what "modified food starch" is, but I'm pretty sure that they didn't put it in to make things tastier.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've made my own seasoned salts by just realizing that there should be the most of the first and the least of the last. That's not exact proportions but it does make a difference. How sessame seedy was it? Like 50% or not very?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cayenne pepper rocks, but then, so does chocolate. A place for everything, and everything in its place.
Yeah! Mole paste. Cayenne pepper,Chocolate, peanuts and a few other things.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried, but no luck. I guess it's time to experiment!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.