FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need a new ISP

Author Topic: I need a new ISP
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to look around for a new ISP to move my site(s) to, and I haven't been paying attention the last 5 years. What's good? What's cheap?

The best overall package I've seen so far is GoDaddy, but I've also heard bad things about their customer service. Anybody deal with them?

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you need your ISP to do?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Give me at least a gig of space and a gig of bandwidth a month, allow at least 5 domain names with e-mail accounts for each, include php and MySql, allow perl scripts and WordPress, and be reliable and fast and ideally under $25 a month. Everything beyond that is gravy.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had any problems with 1and1.

ICDsoft has also been recommended in the past by several Jatraqueros.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I adore ICDsoft. I'm not sure about the 5 domains, but their basic package has everything else you want for $6/month.

And their customer service and tech support are beyond excellent.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I use GoDaddy, and haven't had any problems with their customer service. I've only ever needed them to do one thing, though (a server-change). But they did it quickly and without muss.

Otherwise... It's just: I pay once a year, and the site is always up, always responds well, and that's it. No fuss. Simple.

Much better than the host I had previously, which was tucows.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't, in fact, have the 5 domains. You only get one domain per package. Everything else about ICDsoft is fantastic, though, especially the customer service (three-minute turnaround on help e-mails at 2 in the morning) and five packages is $30 a month.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Curious, do you actually need 5 Domains, or do you need 5 sub-domains?

A subdomain would be something like this -

mail.yahoo.com
groups.yahoo.com
maps.yahoo.com

These appear as unique websites, but under the primary domain yahoo.com.

Getting sub-domains is easy, and I suspect nearly every provider has it as an option.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Separate domains. I maintain my site and SerenityStuff.com, as well as sites for my sons and my wife (although she's let hers die, i think).
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had very good luck with dreamhost.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.