FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Seat belt question

Author Topic: Seat belt question
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Tova just turned 8, and she's been dying to get rid of her car seat and use a regular seat belt.

The problem is, unless she sits up really straight, the shoulder belt cuts across her neck. And that's at the lowest setting in the car. Like I told her, if I have to make her unhappy to keep her safe, she's going to be unhappy. She gets that.

But I remember seeing a device that effectively lowered the shoulder belt (without raising her up, I mean). I did a search online and came up empty. Is anyone here familiar with such a gadget?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
On a different note, but related to seatbelts, does anyone know why the standard seatbelt is not the type that forms an X across your chest? That seems better than the normal one used now. Is it simply convenience? Cost? I imagine it does a better job as that is what is used in racing, where the potential for dangerous crashes is high.

Just curious.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this would work?

This is the google search I used. It looks like there are a few other devices to look at as well.

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That actually sounds really familiar to me. I'll look it up. I thought they had like some sort of middle ground car seat for kids between the age of 8 and 11 until they are ready to just sit in the seat with the belt.

Let me go look. I don't have kids, but I know I saw something like this on TV.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
The American Academy of Pediatrics says it's a little early still.

quote:
Children should stay in a booster seat until the adult seat belts fit correctly (usually when a child reaches about 4' 9" in height and is between 8 and 12 years of age).

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah that's what I was just reading. It says she should still be in a booster seat.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Google "seat belt positioner" and you'll get lots of different types.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

This might be what you're looking for.

But I'd note that every site I read until I got to this one said that the belt needs to be on the child's lap, not their stomach as this picture implies.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean something like this?
Here's another. I just googled "seat belt adjuster," and that seems to have found a bunch of relevant hits.

Edit: Whoa. A lot of people posted while I was googling and otherwise distracted.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one from Safety 1st
Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll have to look through all of those.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The products linked to are not generally recommended by CPSTs (child passenger safety technicians) because they do not position the belt correctly across the lap/hips. I highly recommend keeping her in a booster until she passes the "five-step test":

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

ALL the conditions must be met to pass the test, which may be passed in some vehicles before it is passed in others. It sounds like she does not meet condition 3.

A relevant flyer: www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

Check out the FAQ thread at babycenter.com's "car safety" board for a lot of information on car seat and booster seat safety.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't meet condition 3 in most vehicles, and I'm 5'7. Most of my height is in my legs, so when I'm sitting I'm too short for a lot of front seat seatbelts. I used to have one of the metal belt positioners, but I haven't used it in a long time, so I'll probably end up strangled in the event of a crash.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
Maybe this would work?

My wife is 5'-1" and still has to use this one. my two 11 year olds do too.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't meet condition 3 in most vehicles
Same here.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't in a lot of cars, either. I've often wished they made booster seats that were comfortable for use in a standard front bucket seat and big enough for my butt.

I'd still say 8 is too young to let her move if she doesn't meet condition 3 in a BACK seat. If she's 10 or 12 and doesn't meet it, different story.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.