FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New macbook (mayfly, i guesss...)

Author Topic: New macbook (mayfly, i guesss...)
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
So I just got a new Macbook, and I'm pretty happy with it, it's cool and works well. The only thing is... when it's "sleeping" is makes this little noise every ten seconds, like "zzz-zit". What is it, "snoring"?? Is that really necessary at all???? It would be nice to put it on sleep when I'm taking a nap, reading, etc, but the noise drives my roommate and I crazy! It's not too loud, it's just continual, and serves no purpose whatsoever!!
This thread is pretty pointless (like the noise), and I'll probably delete it, I just have to put this out there!

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Does it sound like a fan?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

No, it's "zzz-zit" then it stops. 10 seconds later, zzz-zit. Etc.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In my mind, "zzz-zit" sounds exactly like a fan to me.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

It's not continuous...wouldn't a fan be continuous?
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps its only spinning up to briefly cool some component which is only heating up very slowly. Try putting it near an open window and see if the lower temperature affects it (just don't let any snow blow on it).
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Fans whir.

Is there a cd in the drive? Also, make sure under system preferences you've checked "put the hard disk to sleep when possible."

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
That's very odd. I know quite a few people with Macbooks and none of them snore. This is definitely not normal behavior for a Macbook. I live in the tropics so its not simply a temperature problem.

If you just got it, I'd take it back to the place you got it and explain the problem. It may be a known problem that can be fixed with a software update. On the other hand, you may have a hardware defect and if so you should get it fixed right away while you are still under warranty and before it develops into a more serious problem.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RyanINPnet
Member # 8363

- posted      Profile for RyanINPnet   Email RyanINPnet         Edit/Delete Post 
My new MacBook has been doing that as well. Does the sound kind of originate from the bottom right corner?

I contacted Apple Support and they informed me that it is the hard disk making that noise. The noise is made when the head sets down on the disk. They say it is a “safety feature”, but I’m not buying it. I am going to take mine to an Apple Store, and see what can be done. It’s really annoying!

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would the disk head be doing anything while the computer is asleep?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

quote:
Originally posted by RyanINPnet:
My new MacBook has been doing that as well. Does the sound kind of originate from the bottom right corner?

Yes!

quote:
Originally posted by RyanINPnet:

I contacted Apple Support and they informed me that it is the hard disk making that noise. The noise is made when the head sets down on the disk. They say it is a “safety feature”, but I’m not buying it. I am going to take mine to an Apple Store, and see what can be done. It’s really annoying!

I'm at college right now with no car ( [Frown] ) so I can't go to an Apple store, can you keep me updated on what they say?

quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
Also, make sure under system preferences you've checked "put the hard disk to sleep when possible."

Tried that -- same thing. (Thanks anyway!)

P.S. I also noticed that when it makes this noise, the little Apple logo on the lid lights up (whereas previous it was dark), then goes dark again.

P.P.S. Also, I'm fairly certain it only happens when the lid is down.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
All macbooks light up and down while asleep. That part is normal.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
All macbooks light up and down while asleep. That part is normal.

Mine doesn't, at least not when the lid is down. There is a small light on the front of my computer that lights up when the computer is asleep. But the apple logo on the top does not light up and down when the computer is sleeping.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
:closes his macbook to check:

Yes, actually, only the front button on my macbook lights up whle the computer is closed.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

So basically, it doesn't stay asleep. It comes back on and then goes back to sleep continually. WTF?
Tara
Member # 10030

Ok, I think I fixed it by unchecking "Wake for Ethernet network administration access" under System Preferences (Energy Saver)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.