FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's not a flying car, it's a driveable airplane

Author Topic: It's not a flying car, it's a driveable airplane
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
awesome.

quote:
We're excited by the reality of what we're doing here, but this is not the start of the flying car," company CEO Carl Dietrich told Wired.com. "This is a light sport plane that can be driven home after a day of flying and parked in the garage. It's designed for pilots. That's our target market.
Link to the article.

[ April 06, 2009, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the geekiest-looking vehicle ever.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]

Now all they have to do is reduce the price by a factor of at least 5, and make it hold at least 4 people.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
This made me smile.

Thanks

[Smile]

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Moller Aviation has had a working prototype of something similar for more than 10 years. The problem is, as noted, the expense (although Moller, iirc, claims to be able to mass produce for around 80 to 100K per unit), and the fact that if you carry more than a single passenger you need a pilot's license.

Under a certain weight (both cargo and gross), and with only a single passenger, I believe you can be classified as an 'ultralight' and you do not need a pilot's license. Again, this is all off the top of my head. I may not be entirely accurate.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a video for this a little while ago on CNN. It kind of scares me.

The link from CNN.

The reason it disturbs me? It only takes 20 hours to get a sports pilot license. It takes longer for a driver's license. I think of all the accidents on the road and I'm grateful they can't crash through my bedroom window. Planes? I don't have that security. [Smile]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I am terrified of people flying through the air texting on their phones while drunk. They are going to have to design some sort of roofing system that bounces drunk flyers off my house instead of them plowing into it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
It said "20 hours of instrucion"

In PA (I know other states are different) no formal hours of instruction are required at all. I don't see why the sudden paranoia.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
This plane gets about 30 mpg in the air. (!!!)

This could be a viable way to commute, except for the red tape of taking off from and landing at airports.

I think we should start planning how to handle thousands of commuter runways across the nation and how to handle tens of thousands of small commuter aircraft in the air at any given time. The passenger throughput capacity of the air, compared to highways, should be ENORMOUS.

My commute could be cut in half!

OK, let's figure out light rail infrastructure for every metropolitan area of size first. [Wink]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to wait for a hybrid flying car. Or a pure electrical one. I mean, the technology for electric cars exists, so why not use that instead of gas?

Scifibum, the problem is that with roads, the edges are demarcated sharply. In the air, they aren't. And can you imagine teenagers drag-racing in the sky?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Scifibum, the problem is that with roads, the edges are demarcated sharply. In the air, they aren't. And can you imagine teenagers drag-racing in the sky?
I know it would be a bad idea to just turn them all loose without solving those problems, that's why I said "start planning". We will need more automatic pilot control and automatic collision avoidance. There's no technical barrier there that will be particularly hard to overcome in the next few decades.

Anyway even at 30 MPG, or using stored electrical energy instead of internal combustion, one- or two-passenger planes will probably never be a very efficient mode of travel compared to light rail or even buses, so we'll need to make enough headway in energy abundance that we can afford to ignore that...probably safe to say not in the next couple of decades.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing a vehicle very much like this in the early 80s.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
This could be a viable way to commute, except for the red tape of taking off from and landing at airports.

I think we should start planning how to handle thousands of commuter runways across the nation and how to handle tens of thousands of small commuter aircraft in the air at any given time.

Ultralight planes are not required to file flight plans or to take off and land from airports. This is why everyone designing flying cars is designing them to those specs.

And the FAA has been planning how to handle this for at least 15 years.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Sweet!
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
How much runway is needed here? Can you take off from the street? Where can you land?
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
roads? where we're going we don't need roads.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.