FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Author Topic: The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
My Mom has tickets to The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, but she's already seen it. So she called to ask if we'd like to go. But Havah can't go to a theater until after the show, because she's still in the year of mourning for her mother.

So we were wondering whether the play is okay for a 9 year old. Has anyone here seen it, and would you like to weigh in on whether a 9 year old would enjoy it, and whether it's appropriate? Thanks.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I've not seen it, but I have listened to the soundtrack. And, unfortunately, it's a bit of a coin flip. I think a 9 year old would enjoy it, but there is some risky humor (in the songs, at least) that you may or may not want to expose a 9 year old to.

In particular, I believe one of the songs is called "My Unfortunate Erection". (Apologies if the title offends.) And I think there's also a fair amount of poop humor.

But I don't know how offensive it may get beyond that song.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I just asked a coworker of mine who saw it a few months ago, and his response was "definitely not". I asked him for details, but he didn't really provide any beyond saying that there was a 4 minute song about an erection. Now, at age 9 I'd probably have thought that that was pretty funny, but her milage may vary.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Hmm... that could be a problem. Anyone else? Someone who's seen it? Did OSC review it?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops--should have hit refresh before I posted.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2005-12-18.shtml
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Thanks, muppet. She definitely isn't going. And thanks to everyone else, too.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.