FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We are Living With Costumed Heroes

Author Topic: We are Living With Costumed Heroes
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I just saw this article on CNN. Apparently this guy named Shadowhare fights crime on the streets of Cincinatti.

He says they only do citizen arrests but still leaves me feeling a little comfortable.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
It's creepy. If someone wants to fight crime they can try to join the police force. Any reason why they might not want to do that, I suspect, would be a good reason why they are not suited to law enforcement.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You haven't seen the Real Life Superheroes site? I think it's pretty cool, actually. I've wondered for a while why no one had done this.

Edit: also the World Superhero Registry. It has a link to Shadow Hare's blog (it's apparently Shadow Hare, and not Shadowhare).

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Clearly, he's a big Donnie Darko fan. I wonder if his real name is Frank.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

And I'm not entirely sure why this is all that different than the Guardian Angels were.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Less Nazi, more Tick?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
More KuKluxKlan. If an obviously nonWhite ran around masked carrying those weapons, the police woulda already slammed him in jail on several felony charges.

[ April 28, 2009, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I hope you're wrong, aspectre.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
pepper spray? Are you saying the police would've arrested a black man had the black man had pepper spray?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Less Nazi, more Tick?

The Guardian Angels were Nazi-ish?
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
[QB] You haven't seen the Real Life Superheroes site? I think it's pretty cool, actually. I've wondered for a while why no one had done this.

O_O

That's the first time I've ever seen an obese superhero. (see Ms. Meow in the gallery)

Some of those dudes look pretty tough, though.

edit: I went to your second site (the superhero registry), they all look a lot more legit. (partly because they have to have their crime-fighting confirmed by media sources before they're admitted)

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it illegal to go around wearing a mask in some areas? I'd think especially if they make a citizen's arrest and call the cops, the cops would be within their rights to either make them de-mask or arrest them in some states/cities.

Something to consider before running around wearing a mask and calling the cops.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Illegal to wear a mask? Seriously? How can there possibly be such a law?
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? [Wink]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"pepper spray? Are you saying the police would've arrested a black man had the black man had pepper spray?"

Unless the dude was heading for a job as a security guard, quite probable for pairing a taser with handcuffs. I wouldn't be surprised at an arrest for a balaclava worn as a cap paired with pepperspray.

Carrying a crescent wrench is legal, too...unless a police officer chooses to view it as intended for use as a weapon in a future*crime. At which point, a trip to jail is quite probable. And a permanent record of arrest for felony weapons possession goes into the national crime data base; even if the charge is never filed by the DA or is tossed out by the judge.

* Apparently, there are lawmakers, prosecutors, and judges who believe that cops are capable of mindreading and/or prognostication.

[ May 09, 2009, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"Illegal to wear a mask? Seriously? How can there possibly be such a law?"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081211110550AAw43TP

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm much more comfortable with masked vigilantes armed with pepper spray than I am with rednecks and gangsters armed with guns.

Listening to reactions to the school shootings in Virginia were sort of terrifying. Apparently there's no lack of people out there who think everyone should be packing heat in any circumstance so they can kill anyone suspicious. Judging by how many people are suspect that Obama is a secret Muslim terrorist Communist... go Shadow Hare.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am the Bright Tortoise, and shall be his arch-nemesis.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo, do you know any "rednecks"?

What makes them "rednecks"? Do they call themselves that? Have you asked them why they think and feel as they do, or are you playing the "they MUST also believe THIS if they believe THAT" game?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
"Illegal to wear a mask? Seriously? How can there possibly be such a law?"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081211110550AAw43TP

Well, that's idiotic.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh...I see many trench coats.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: illegal to wear a mask: I know it is in some jurisdictions. In many of those jurisdictions, I believe the reasons primarily begin with a K. And a K. And a K.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Sterling, for bringing attention to the elephant in the room.

:slips on mask and glides quietly out window:

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.