FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Music instruments from 'round the world.

Author Topic: Music instruments from 'round the world.
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I travel somewhere, I like to collect a musical instrument as a souvenir.

Past collections include:

Jamaica - Steel Drum
Dominican Republic - Guiro
Hawaii - Kalimba, Ukulele
Arizona - Mexican Horn, Maracas
Bermuda - Hand Drum, Rattle

Question.... what should I get from my hopefully upcoming Paris/Italy trip?

I was thinking some kind of accordian or mandolin type instrument. I like to find instruments that represent the culture in someway.

Thanks to everyone who chimes in advance! (especially to Orincoro, who I know won't be able to stay away from this post!)

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Italy--maybe a traditional flute. There are many kinds, according to the wiki.

Paris--yes, probably the accordion, or a hurdy-gurdy.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
If money is an object, you may only be able to buy something second-hand in Paris. An accordion would be nice, but see that you can handle before you buy it, and that the reeds and bellows are all reasonably intact. Biggest problem there is an instrument that has some dry rot, or mold, and the belows and reeds haven't been properly cleaned or maintained. Something new might not be as charming, but it's a safer bet.

Now, if money is not an issue and you are willing to endure the trouble of packing and shipping something, the absolute best choice would be something from the viol family (pronounced with an I sound, as in "tie"). These are renaissance and prior period art and chamber music instruments, typically with six single-course gut strings, and seven to nine frets. They come in a variety of sizes. Personally I favor the Viola Da Gamba, which is the size of a cello or a little smaller, and has the richest sound of the family. A more practical choice is a tenor or alto viol. They are played on the knees like a little cello, though they like like violas or violins. They are bowed or plucked, but do not resemble the string family in many other regards. They are beautiful, and there exists an international interest group I used to be a member of (but I can't own one, so now my membership has probably lapsed).

These will run you some considerable money for a good one, and they are hard to find outside of specialty shops. The nice bit is that these days you can get period replicas at semi-decent prices (a few thousand Euros). A custom made will run up to ten thousand or more. I don't know the market on the smaller pieces, but you can anticipate over a thousand euros. I wouldn't buy an instrument that I wasn't going to actually play, so if you go this route, keep in mind it's an investment.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Steel Drum (or more accurately Steel Pan) originated in Trinidad not Jamaica. We're very proud of it and don't like having one of our major achievements credited to Jamaica.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit,

Thank you for informing me of that, I didn't know. Consider me ignorant! Either way, it is still a wonderful instrument. Kind of like the common thought that the ukulele is Hawaiian; it's actually from Portugal.

Is Trinidad responsible for calypso music? Also, do you have any good CD recommendations where I could check out traditional music from Trinidad (would that be Trinidadian?)

Orincoro,

Thanks for all of the advice. Unfornutately I am looking to only spend the equivalent of $500 USD (max). Something that can be viewed as a carry-on sized for travel would be optimal. Accordians would be cool, but seem to be rather large for this, and expensive. I will look further into Viols, they seem exciting.

Steven,

I've read about hurdy-gurdys them also seem fascinating but rather large.

So far my ukulele has been the most gratifying puchase.

Thanks everyone!

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike the string family, viols were designed for a parlor playership. So they are easy to start playing, and your skills from guitar or other fretted instruments or strings transfer nicely to the viol. They also have a rich and variable timber that you can play with. I've used them in some of my electronic pieces.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Steel Drum (or more accurately Steel Pan) originated in Trinidad not Jamaica. We're very proud of it and don't like having one of our major achievements credited to Jamaica.
Likewise, the kalimba is from southern Africa, not Hawaii. But that wouldn't bother me, it makes a simple but beautiful sound in my opinion. It's on my list of instruments to buy.

Rival - I think that's a fantastic way to collect souvenirs. I might start doing something similar.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
On your trip to Italy the obvious souvenir to pick up is some opera training for your own voice. [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Rival,, Yes Calypso originated in Trinidad as did Soca. The original Calypsonians were the "town criers". They spread news among the oppressed slave and indentured working population. Things could be said in Calypso that would have meant prison if said in any other way. The best Calypso's (in my opinion) are still biting social and political commentary. Hence the power of much of the old Calypso music is lost on a modern audience. To fully appreciate the best current Calypsos, you really have to be up on the current news and politics. They are also usually full of sexual innuendo. Double entendre is part and parcel of Calypso.

Here are a few youtube links. The first three are considered classics. The last two are a pair of my favorites from last years carnival season.

Congo Man
Sugar Bum Bum
Fire Fire
Aide Haiti
In a palace state of mind

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.