FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show » IGMS #24-- What Happened at Blessing Creek, Naomi Kritzer

Author Topic: IGMS #24-- What Happened at Blessing Creek, Naomi Kritzer
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Link to the write-up.

Excerpt:

quote:
In 2009, The Thirteenth Child came out to mostly positive reviews...and a whole bunch of controversy. Wrede tried to avoid all the various bad options by removing Native Americans from the equation entirely, and writing about an American continent without them. Given the generations of effort white people put into removing Native Americans from the continent, this was seen by many people as a problematic solution, at best, to the question of how to write about the frontier.

This started me thinking, again, about all the wrong ways to do it. The problem is that the process of colonizing the Americas was ugly. Stunningly, shockingly ugly. Horrifying even by the standards of the day: "I fought through the War Between the States," wrote a Georgia soldier who participated in the Cherokee Trail of Tears, "and have seen many men shot, but the Cherokee Removal was the cruelest work I ever knew." Whitewashing this history is profoundly dishonest. Pretending that the Native Americans were the bad guys is profoundly dishonest. How do you write about the frontier from the white perspective while acknowledging the basic horror of what white people did?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Member # 12050

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds interesting, but I'm confused about one thing. I thought the Trail of Tears was in 1839, about 22 years BEFORE the War between the States. The Georgia soldier's quote seems to imply a different chronology.
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see the Georgia soldier's quote implying anything about the relative chronology of the War Between the States and the Cherokee Removal. He uses his fighting in the war and having seen many men shot merely as points of comparison on a scale of awfulness.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He must have been an old soldier.

According to Wikipedia, that quote comes from 'Invasion' by Robert Remini.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little more research shows he was a Confederate colonel. If he were eighteen in 1939, he would have been in his forties during the Civil War, which would not have been too unusual for an officer.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnHansen
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for JohnHansen           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apologies for the response to an old post but the typo above makes the chronology even more confusing. :-)

John Hansen

Posts: 398 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.