FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Question about Shadow Puppets' cover

Author Topic: Question about Shadow Puppets' cover
Steerpike
Member # 5179

- posted      Profile for Steerpike   Email Steerpike         Edit/Delete Post 
This may have been asked before, but I haven't seen it.

On the cover of Shadow Puppets it says 'The Sequel to the NY Times Best-Seller 'Ender's Shadow''.
I'm just wondering why the reference to Ender's Shadow, when the book is more directly a sequel to Shadow of the Hegemon.

Enlightem me?

Posts: 80 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Shadow of the Hegemon probably didn't make the NYT best-sellers list and Ender's Shadow did. And welcome to Hatrack!

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
(And hey all you other people who pick on me... please notice that I didn't tell the new guy -- I assume it's a guy -- to read the acknowledgements or anything. I'm working on that humility thing.)
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL @ Moose, but I'm with him! Go Read The Acknowledgements! [Wink]
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steerpike
Member # 5179

Heh. I've read them. In fact, that's how I found out about this site. Congratulations and I wanna be like you when I grow up.
Posts: 80 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Hegemon did make the list. These things are decided by marketing people -- so I assume it's either that they wanted to direct people to the sort of "first" book in the series, or they just made a mistake [Smile]
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I was always curious, once the manuscript is written and edited, what exactly does OSC have control over? The cover is out, the design is out, what is there that he can decide once he sends in the final draft?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ohh, and welcome to Hatrack Steerpike! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
They probably wanted the word "Ender" on the cover.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steerpike
Member # 5179

If they wanted Ender on the cover they could have just pulled the parallel series shtick like they did on the cover as Shadow. Even if this has absolutely nothing to do with Ender, it still runs parallel.
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Well actually, all this is occuring while he is midflight to the new colony world. [Razz] [Wink] [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
To answer Hobbes -- what does he have control over besides the manuscript? Nothing [Smile]
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
They probly use Ender's Shadow becuse they feel it may be more well known the hegemon.

[ May 20, 2003, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: The Wiggin ]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

This is one more reason why I could never be a writer, though you think not being able to write would be enough. [Wink] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I loaned out my copy of Shadow of the Hegemon and I never got it back! hmph! [Smile]

The bookstore never has it either! [Mad]

*meditates to calm down* ooohhhhhmmmmm [Smile]
[Big Grin]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DCC
Member # 4512

- posted      Profile for DCC   Email DCC         Edit/Delete Post 
Not having seen Shadow Puppets yet in my backward neck of the woods, well piece of the ocean now, I didn't know about the jacket. But my comment is that I thought it was traditional to name sequels for the first in a series of books.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually (not that this is a big ole difference), it says "A sequel...". As opposed to THE. A small but insignificant difference. And of course I'm talking here about the paperback, which I just saw in the grocery store today. I don't have my hardcover to verify it.

[ June 01, 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Happy Camper ]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cake
Member # 5230

- posted      Profile for Cake   Email Cake         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't about the cover... but I noticed that there is a small black box between pages 248 and 249 towards the bottom. Has anyone else noticed it?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ender_girl
Member # 2707

- posted      Profile for ender_girl           Edit/Delete Post 
Cake I don't see it. Perhaps you mean the paperback edition.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3volution
Member # 5233

- posted      Profile for 3volution   Email 3volution         Edit/Delete Post 
It may sound stupid but I REALLY lost track of the uber-teens ages during my read. I thought it was just a couple years after Hedgemon, making Bean and Petra 15-17. All that talk about having babies: I would like to beleive that there will still be a minimum age requisite before sex becomes (technically) legal. Being a teenager myself, it seems hard to beleive that adults will EVER be well adjusted when it comes to teens making kids.

So my question is: Exactly how old are Bean and Petra and the rest in Puppets?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salaam
Member # 5239

- posted      Profile for Salaam   Email Salaam         Edit/Delete Post 
Well to really answer your question, does age for them matter? They've helped eliminate all but one bugger, they're the best and the brightist. They've gone through things that many people wouldn't go through in many lifetimes. Also, as of the end of shadow puppets, Bean is going to die. It only seems logical that they would try to have children in order to carry on Beans legacy. The age is a bit young in our society but if you think in history, 15-17 was OLD to have children. So in a way, it's not surprising.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.