FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Just thought I'd share

Author Topic: Just thought I'd share
SirReal
Member # 5257

- posted      Profile for SirReal   Email SirReal         Edit/Delete Post 
After lurking here for a few days I was drawn to revisit the Alvin Maker series. It's been a LONG time since I read it, so this time I thought I'd share it with my wife, as we've already read to each other Ender's Game, which she really enjoyed. What surprised me as we started Seventh Son was the ease with which I could slip into each character, how the language OSC used, completely embodied each character. I felt like I was slipping into the skin of each person as they interacted with each other. I've had this realisation before with his work but it's quite different when reading aloud to someone and not just experiencing it in my own head. Anyone else have similar experiences?

[ June 12, 2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: SirReal ]

Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh W
Member # 5253

- posted      Profile for Josh W   Email Josh W         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never read aloud to someone, but I've also recently started rereading the Alvin Maker series. I'm enjoying it more this time the last time I read it (which was about 3 years ago).

I think being able to fall into a character is that you know what drives them and what they fear. Take Mike Fink for example... The first time I read the series I found him to be dispicable from the start. This time however (I'm almost done the Red Prophet), I know what drives him, why he feels superior and without consequence, and that his heart is not pure evil. I found that I don't despise him quite as much. I guess my opinion of him can go one way or the other depending on The Crystal City.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bego
Member # 5285

- posted      Profile for Bego   Email Bego         Edit/Delete Post 
when reading any OSC book i believe he wants you to "Fall into" the character and be in their skin. Thats why he's such a good writer
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What I find funny is how after reading a Card book I find myself narrating about what I'm doing in my life as if he were writing about it. Next time I read one I'll have to give you an example. I've been reading Dune lately, and so instead I just have strange names popping into my head as if there were written in italics.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.