FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Short Stories??

Author Topic: Short Stories??
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone. I just read OSC's short story "Atlantis" and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on another good short story i should read. [Big Grin]
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you read "Homeless in Hell," "Missed," or "Prior Restraint?"
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Well, and of course "Ender's Game."
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConfusedOne
Member # 5296

- posted      Profile for ConfusedOne   Email ConfusedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game as a Short story really disgusted me. It was not worth it at all to even bother, Stick with the book...

--You're just jealous cause the lil' voices only talk to me.--

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are not familiar with this book... i have 4 words for you: Maps In A Mirror

[Big Grin]

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Well, sure, if you want to be obvious. [Razz]
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually-i did read Ender's Game-liked the book better but it wasn't too bad. But i will definately try the others. Thank you very much everyone! [Big Grin]

[ June 20, 2003, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: RackhamsRazor ]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RushFan
Member # 5245

- posted      Profile for RushFan   Email RushFan         Edit/Delete Post 
This series of short stories is a few years old, but still good. Walter Jon Williams 'Surfacing'

As Jim Rome would say... "It's NICE"

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chamrajngar
Member # 3242

- posted      Profile for Chamrajngar   Email Chamrajngar         Edit/Delete Post 
anything by Avimov is good... try the Robot seiries.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Read "Sandkings" br George R.R. Martin
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want some good short stories, collected and edited by none other than Mr. Card himself, try reading Future on Fire and Future on Ice. It's what he considers to be the best scifi of the eighties. He writes two very interesting forwards for the book, too.

I don't remember much from Future on Fire except that it was assembled in the late eighties early nineties. I borrowed it from my school's library and consumed it in about three days in between classes.

Future on Ice is spectacular. It's still one of my favorite collections of short stories I have. It has works by Issac Asimov, Octavia Butler (one of my favorite science fiction writers), Mr. Card, and several others.

Another collection that I've read through, but havn't bought yet, is The Good New Stuff. It's all fairly new SF in a variety of styles. It's the partner to another book, The Good Old Stuff, which is mostly from the fifties, sixties, and early seventies.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
"Mortal Gods" by Card was one, which really intrigued me, especially since it deals with a physical universe very different from the "Enderverse," or I completely misunderstood the story. Either way it was cool, and interesting, [Smile] I never got the point, but I think there was one sailing just inches over my head. [Embarrassed]
I think it was in Unaccompanied Sonata, I'm not sure if I have the title right, but I think I am close enough that if I have the book right it can be found.
If any one out there beleives they got the point to this story, I would be interested to hear it.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the stories are really about getting "the point". I think there may happen to be points made throughout the stories, but I think the purpose is to just enjoy whatever it is you're reading. If you enjoyed it, what does it matter whether there was a point or not?
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I3EI3S
Member # 5304

- posted      Profile for I3EI3S   Email I3EI3S         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC edited two books, Future on Fire and Future on Ice, both filled with short sci-fi stories that he picked out. they are all very good in their own way. thats a good place to start.

oops...wheatpuppet already said that

[ July 23, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: I3EI3S ]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason R. Peters
Member # 5430

- posted      Profile for Jason R. Peters   Email Jason R. Peters         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite Card short story was Prior Restraint. I was surprised that he said he didn't like it that much. That one is in "The Changed Man and the King of Worlds."
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

I actually found Masterpieces (ed. by Card) to be a much better collection of stories then Future on Fire and Future on Ice.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.