FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Where/What exactly is EnderCon?

Author Topic: Where/What exactly is EnderCon?
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen references to EnderCon everywhere, but what is it, and where can I find it?
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure glad you asked that Julie, because as a newbie, I was also planning to ask that yesterday, but was afraid of looking the fool. I think from some of the conversations it must be a convention of some sort.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a convention held in honor of Ender's Game's 25th anniversary. Many nerdy Hatrackers and others all showed up for a two or three day thingy last July in Utah. There was a trivia contest, which Papa Moose won, the prize of which was to be a character in an upcoming novel. The novel is Crystal City and "Papa Moose and Mama Squirel" is actually the title of the second chapter!

They did other stuff, too. I believe OSC read, and they had music. Lots of pictures, of course. They can be seen here and here. There might be more, but I don't know. [Smile]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
@Ease
Member # 3066

- posted      Profile for @Ease           Edit/Delete Post 
The basics
Impressions
Details
Details

It looks like most of the more detailed threads with pictures have been deleted.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

Thanks.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you can watch it happen [Big Grin]

http://www.philoticweb.net/fans/

[ August 26, 2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the links to the photos, Kayla! I really enjoyed being able to put some names with some faces! (Papa Moose didn't look at all like I pictured he would) Looks like it was a blast. I hope they have another Endercon sometime.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you know when OSC might be signing books near you (or anywhere, for that matter [Big Grin] ) and might there be another convention like EnderCon? Maybe for the 50th EG anniversary... [Wink]
[Smile]

"Remember, the enemy's gate is down"

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
TOUR CITIES*
THE CRYSTAL CITY-ORSON SCOTT CARD

San Diego, CA
Pasadena/LA, CA
San Jose, CA
Menlo Park, CA
Half Moon Bay, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
Portland, OR
Seattle, WA
Lexington, KY
Louisville, KY
Dayton, OH
Cincinnati, OH
Greensboro, NC
Raleigh, NC

*note: Tour cities are not confirmed. Stay tuned for more tour details.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I hope the next EC is right BEFORE the release of the movie - where the fans are still purely original book fans - and we get a special premier of the film. I can think of no greater audience to watch the film with than all of my Jatraquero and Pweb buddies.

-Taal

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Thanks bunches, Kayla. I'm so happy!! OSC is coming to my city (maybe, I know, I won't get my hopes up...) I know that might sound kind of immature or juvenile, but that's what I am. [Big Grin]
[Smile]

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

There's nothing on the list for anywhere near the northeast. [Confused]
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Kayla, sorry if I'm badgering you. However, I have a question. I just got done doing searches after about 30 of them. I was trying to find some information on OSC book signings - at least I tried to find what I was looking for before I began to bug you... [Big Grin] May I just ask where you found that tour list at? Sorry again!
[Smile]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering how Papa Moose and Mama Squirrel got into Walking on Water. What would have happened in Slash the Berzerker had one the trivia contest? Would Slash be running an orphanage in Nuevo Barcelona or would he have been given a different role?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Perhaps it wouldn't be very good if someone with a name that possibly hinted on violent tendencies had won the trivia contest. However, I'm sure that OSC would have found a way to work it into a story. [Big Grin]
[Smile]

Kayla
Member # 2403

W, it was posted somewhere else on the site. I just pasted it from that thread. Honestly, I have no idea where Hobbes got it. [Smile] You might ask him.

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001986#000000

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you were the person who did exhaustive internet searches. [Confused]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Well, Hobbes??? [Big Grin] Please?
[Smile]

wieczorek
Member # 5565

Hobbes, I was just curious if your sn pertains to Thomas Hobbes (the philosophical author of Leviathin ? I was curious because I know he was around during the time of Locke, also a philosophe. However, the two are completely different. Not that it matters, though. [Wink]
[Smile]

I was just thinking. A really good sn for a hatrack user would be Diderot or Rosseau. Both very suiting for Locke and Demosthenes. I'm pretty sure that OSC got Peter's name from the Great Russian Czar, Peter the Great. I also believe that Peter got the name Locke from John Locke, a great philosopher during the time of Peter the Great. But I wonder where Demosthenes came from?

Julie
Member # 5580

I think it had something to do with Athens.
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Good possibility - I'd never thought of that one before. [Confused] Hehe...
[Smile]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the idea was to have your real name in the book, since not all the participants had a hatrack handle and many of them had a handle that is already in another book. Plus it wasn't known, by me anyway, that the next book would be an Alvin Maker. I thought they were going to somehow insert him into Shadow Puppets.

It's going to be really puzzling for Bullwinkle fans who stumble across the series. I mean, especially when she says she became Mama squirrel when he became Papa Moose. What kind of sense does that make?

Finally, I was watching the special features of "Catch me if you Can" and I think Papa moose kind of looks like the real life guy that story was based on. Sorry about the sporadic capitalization. Poppa Muuus.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hobbes, I was just curious if your sn pertains to Thomas Hobbes
Techincally yes, but through degrees. My SN is my pet tiger's name. His name came from Calvin & Hobbes, and Waterson got that name from Thomas Hobbes, so in a way, it is...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Pet tiger? Is that a metaphorical expression? Hmmm... [Confused]
I figured something out about my doctor today when I went to his office. He looks just like OSC, but with really white hair. Hmmm... it's pretty much just his face and his facial expressions that remind me of him. I also realized last week why I'm kind of creeped out by my optometrist - he looks like Hitler to me, but a bit on the trimmer side...that's my two cents...
[Smile]

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
For those curious about Demosthenes:

Quick bio of Demosthones
Demosthenes' entry in Plutarch's Lives of Noble Grecians and Romans. Shakespeare took much of his ancient history from Lives.

One last Demosthenes link

[ September 03, 2003, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Wow, thanks Morbo. Good links.
[Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.