FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Strange Things Are Happening

Author Topic: Strange Things Are Happening
Morgaine
Member # 4691

- posted      Profile for Morgaine   Email Morgaine         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I read any of the Shadow series books, I start thinking like Bean. I know he's not a real person, but after getting through his thoughts, I can't seem to help it. I'm beginning to analyse everything. But the weird thing is, I'm doing it all really really quickly, without knowing exactly what I'm doing. Also, lately I've been right regarding the things I'm analysing (which is a first [Wink] )

For example, my mother was telling me something that happened, for some reason, I was able to, almost instantly, without realising how I knew, figure out what the other side was planning, and why the were doing what they did, and what my parents should do about it. I found out 3 days later that I was right, about everything. In retrospect, I can figure out the thought proceses I must have gone through at the time.

I don't know if there's something strange in the water lately . . . but the books are really getting to me. I suppose in a good way, instantaneous analysis can only be a good thing, né?

Does anyone else find that you start to become "in character" even when not reading the books? Any weird stories like mine, or am I the only freak here? Actually, I'm sure I"m not the only freak here, but I understand if you want to keep silent . . . [Smile]

[ September 11, 2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Morgaine ]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I only start thinking in language the author uses...I don't know if that's any help or not. Me, I can't analyze social situations at all.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a crazy reaction like that when I read LoTR this last time through. I read all three books in less than two weeks, so it was overkill and overwhelming to my psyche. I started to think in that fantastic Aragorny old English and just caught myself a few times before I actually spoke that way. It was great. And this time, I was more depressed when the stories ended, like I had been there, experienced everything, cried my eyes out, and then everyone went home. I completely understand what you mean.

Now I'm rereading the Chronicles of Narnia...and the language of the High Kings and Queens at Cair Paravel is starting to creep into my everyday speaking. It's pretty funny. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
I relate to many a character in the EG and the Speaker and Shadow series. I was just thinking about that today - about thinking like Bean, Ender, and Petra. After deducing something like one of the characters, I don't think anything is odd about it - but it's almost as though in my deep sub-concious, I realize that something's operating differently in my brain...I've also (not to be rude) realized how...well... simple the people at my school are. Someone will say something that I infer something from and I look around just to see everyone's face just as vacant and virgin as it was before anything important was said. I've also found that I've become more interested in war and I thirst to know more about it. I've found that a bit difficult to accomplish, however, considering that my school isn't the best...we have a dress code which seems to be more important to the instructors than teaching . Everyone has to tuck their shirt in or it's a detention or referral - depends on what kind of mood the teacher's in. Today one of my friends received a detention for wearing a shirt that the teacher thought was "inappropriate". It seemed odd to me that none of our other teachers were offended by its presence on her skin. I also find it strange (no, not strange, unfair) that the limitations of the dress code do not extend so far as to rule over the teachers. During an assembly, my principal stated specifically that all teachers "...will agree on everything. We have had more than enough meetings and every adult in the building has been given guidlines that we will all specifically follow. If one teacher says,'Yes,', you can be sure that we will all agree..." I think it unjust to say "...that we will all specifically follow...", because she certainly didn't mean that it pertains to them. Perhaps she should have said "...and we will all see to it that you menial children whose time is being wasted in the midst of mindlessly arrogant and misinformed adults dress the way we find appropriate..."
Sorry to get off topic. But I see no need to erase my statements listed above.
I have never before realized how naive most people are. There is but a small minority consisting of a few people in my school and neighborhood that is not blind to its surroundings. It's actually frustrating-
[Smile]

"Remember, the enemy's gate is down"

[ September 11, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: wieczorek ]

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

wieczorek, I believe in your case (as in my high school scene) a certain quote fits nicely:

"Everyone is equal, but some people are more equal than others."

I hate hypocricy. I also hate imbeciles. And my high school. Together, it was one big party. *groans*

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikal
Member # 5564

- posted      Profile for Mikal   Email Mikal         Edit/Delete Post 
Animal Farm, right?
Posts: 41 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Right.

I experienced the same thing at my high school. I actually had a class where the thing the teacher was trying to do was to question what he was telling you, he didn't say it, but it was obvious as to how he was running the class. I found it disturbing that the only people who really provided an intelligent counter-dialogue were me, my best friend, and one or two other people in the class. Everyone else just consumed everything he said, despite how outrageous or biased what he was saying was.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm suddenly feeling very old again.

I know what you mean, though. I was reading the Bible the other day, and my wife just pointed out that I've been doing a lot of heathen-tribe-smiting and knowing-everything lately. [Wink]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife always laugsh at me after I read any of the Alvin books, because my grammer (and accent) deteriorates. It's fun!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

quote:
Originally posted by Wheat Puppet
I experienced the same thing at my high school. I actually had a class where the thing the teacher was trying to do was to question what he was telling you, he didn't say it, but it was obvious as to how he was running the class. I found it disturbing that the only people who really provided an intelligent counter-dialogue were me, my best friend, and one or two other people in the class. Everyone else just consumed everything he said, despite how outrageous or biased what he was saying was.

It reminds me of a message board I go to. There used to be one extremely intelligent person who would say some completely ludicrous (sp?) things, such as "All blacks should become slave again." People would then get upset and start yelling at him, not realising that he wanted a discussiong about the statement, not about how it would reflect on himself (in this case, being called a "racist"). It was really funny, for those few of us who knew what was happening, to watch.
wieczorek
Member # 5565

That reminds me of my Spanish teacher. She writes our homework assignments on the board and one day she wrote, "Test over imperfect tense on Tuesday." But I pointed out that we met again (because of block scheduling) on Monday, not Tuesday. She replied, "But we don't meet on Tuesday." I had to keep myself from smacking my forehead. It takes about five tries to get everything past her. It also irks me that no one seems to understand the concept of double negatives. For example, I say to my teacher, "Did you say we didn't need our books?" If we did not need our books, shouldn't my teacher have said "Yes." ? But she said, "No. I didn't say that." Then I asked the same question again and I got the same answer. But later she told us that we didn't need our books. It's humorous that even teachers don't understand simple concepts, isn't it?
[Smile]

"Rememeber, the enemy's gate is down"

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know what you mean, though. I was reading the Bible the other day, and my wife just pointed out that I've been doing a lot of heathen-tribe-smiting and knowing-everything lately.
Holy crap, that's funny.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
For the past two years I had really good spanish teachers. Then, by a stroke of bad luck, my favorite spanish teacher (my school has five or six) didn't end up teaching spanish IV so I got stuck with this idiotic teacher with a horrible accent who constantly speaks english (and then yells at us for doing so). I was used to teachers who actually speak spanish with the correct pronunciation and accent. Oh well, I'll definitely have a good teacher next year (she's the only one who teaches spanish V).
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

All but one of my Spanish teachers have been...less than likeable. My current teacher pronounces "s" as "sh". For example, instead of saying ustedes as oo-sted-ays, she says, oo-shted-aysh. It's really quite annoying...
[Smile]

mickey_mouse
Member # 4533

- posted      Profile for mickey_mouse   Email mickey_mouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I do start to use the language of the author of any book that I am reading at the time. But I notice it a lot more with OSC.

Perhaps it is because I can never read just a little at a time with him. I always read his stuff for hours on end. So I suppose when those are the circumstances, anyone would start to take on the language usage and mood of the author. [Hat]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

I can relate with Mr. Porteiro Head. When I read the Seventh Son, it takes me a few weeks to begin to speak comfortably again. I find that after reading Seventh Son, I have to choose my wording very carefully. It would be kind of embarrassing if that language emerged from my mouth! It's interesting how books can grab hold of you and have such a great (as in "large") affect on your daily life. Hail the Almighty OSC [Hail] !!
[Smile]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
If you think that's strange, wiecz, check out your tribute thread in the other forum! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

No need to tell me. I just did. Thanks
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I actually start thinking like anyone when reading except maybe the author. I start narrating everything that's happening as I do it. After all, the dramatization of Bean's life is limited to what OSC can think of. Though I think that if we had all the time in the world to reflect on something in the moment we have to actually live it, most of our actions would seem a lot more intelligent. Is there really much more to intelligence than that?

I did have two really high school good teachers, in that they inspired me to be a better person (and not even through negative examples). Most the rest of my teachers were honest, caring people. There were a couple of sadly neurotic cases. But I've forgiven them. Now I'm trying to recover from my college experience...

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

[Smile] --- Pooka

Good point. I can understand thinking like the author. [Wink]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I get really involved in the books I read. Whenever I read any of the Ender/Bean books I start thinking like them. In fact, the first time I read Ender's Game I was walking around really confused for a few days. I actually forgot that gravity existed. [Blushing]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know what you mean, though. I was reading the Bible the other day, and my wife just pointed out that I've been doing a lot of heathen-tribe-smiting and knowing-everything lately.
Ah, I love the sharp, biting witticism of TomDavidson.

I think the only OSC character I felt myself emulating was Rebecca. Something about her relationship with her father, her views of morality, vanity, and marriage made her easy to relate with. She reminded me a bit of myself, only a lot better. It was great pretending I was better than I am for a few days.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ksig
Member # 5625

- posted      Profile for Ksig   Email Ksig         Edit/Delete Post 
h good, i thought i was the only one like that, whenever i read an OSC book i started thinking like one of the characters! Like Morgaine said, about analyzing the situation and stuff when i read any of the EG books. And like right now i'm reading the Alvin series and i keep thinking, oh that's their knack! [Smile] I've almost said that so many times! And kinda like Narnia said, when i read all the LOTR books (four 1/2 days, including the hobbit) and i actually thought it was history(well, when i actually thought about it i realized it wasn't, but subconsciously:)
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelbar Spin
Member # 5791

- posted      Profile for Pelbar Spin   Email Pelbar Spin         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't??? [Confused]
Posts: 15 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] No, sorry to break it to you.

Lately, I've been on a 19th century british kick. Read Persuasion, and now I'm into Dickens. After a long reading session, I find myself thinking and speaking in that type of language. It's pretty funny.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting thread, here!

When I read PASTWATCH, and come to the point where Tagiri and Diko, mother and daughter, are in debate under the starry African sky as to whether or not to destroy seven centuries of human history or not, I find myself taking BOTH sides! My left brain is debating with my right brain, or something. [Eek!]

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually read for an hour or so before going to sleep. Recently I have completed readin the last two Shadow books, and have picked up the author's voice in my head. I will stop and realize that I had been lying in the dark for 10 minutes trying to sleep, but actually running meaningless clauses and phrases through my head.

"He recalled a similar situation in which..."
"Of course this was his last attempt to..."
"brilliant! this would work perfectly!"

These sorts of things will just flow at random. Its like I can hear myself reading the book in the back-ground of my mind, but I'm not actually reading it, I'm just making up phrases to make it seem like I am reading. It feels like mental inertia. Impart enough commentary from OSC on your mind in a short time, and your mind starts giving it back to you in your sleep.

Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
lol Tom, but, aren't you old?

-o-

quote:
All but one of my Spanish teachers have been...less than likeable. My current teacher pronounces "s" as "sh". For example, instead of saying ustedes as oo-sted-ays, she says, oo-shted-aysh. It's really quite annoying...
Hate to break it to you, but this is not incorrect pronunciation. Your teacher is pronouncing her words in the Castillian (Spanish) way, pronouncing S as SH and pronouncing soft C and Z as TH.

On second thought, I do have a quibble . . . why is the second E in ustedes being pronounced differently from the first one?

-o-

I also find myself thinking and speaking in the same verbal patterns as used in good books I am reading. Lousy books don't seem to have quite as strong an effect, though.

[Smile]

-Icarus

[ October 13, 2003, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Megachirops ]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.