FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Thoughts about First Meetings

Author Topic: Thoughts about First Meetings
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading "The Polish Boy" I remembered hearing somewhere that OSC was having difficulty with finding places to put in female actresses as adults in the film, because with the exception of the adults on Earth there were no people portrayed as females in Battle School or Eros. It made me wonder if Helana Rudolf was purposely put in the story so the people who already read the book wouldn't be so upset about the addition of a new character in the movie.
He even seems to try to justify, again, why females are under represented in his books. In "The Polish Boy" he discusses, through Col. Sillain, how females are more likely to be fooled by cute faces, and things of that sort.
What do you guys think about this idea?

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
There are no women on the battle school or on Eros because we see virtually no adults on either. We see a couple of administrators, one teacher who, as I recall, was unnamed, and that's about it.

I think you would need to justify the claim that females are underrepresented in Card's works as a whole. I certainly do not have that impression from having read them all. I also find highly suspect that a line of dialogue is intended to justify traits of OSC's writing. It's much more likely, imo, that this line is present to further characterize the speaker. I don't think this is OSC speaking "through" a character.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on how involved he gets with Bean's story, Sister Carlotta could play a little part, and, at the end, if he does decide to include EG's end, Valentine is and could be portrayed by a young adult. But, true, that is a little slim. The only main female part is Petra, but she's a little girl.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
My point exactly, Da_Goat. In asking this question I was not refering to any of OSC other writing, just in Ender's Game, because as I said above in the movie for Ender's Game there are very few key adult postions that could be filled by adult actresses. So I was wondering if OSC purposly introduced the character so that he could place that character in the movie with out us whining about it. I don't believe he was writing "through" anything but a piece of paper.
[Smile]

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.