FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Anton key experiment

Author Topic: Anton key experiment
tancath
Member # 5769

- posted      Profile for tancath   Email tancath         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean tells Sister Carlotta that when he escaped the clean place, he could hear the adults shouting angrily as they found some empty beds. I conclude from that, that some other kids escaped and that Bean wasn't the only successfull experiment. But then, what happened to the others? If they werew as smart as Bean, surely they should have escaped too?
Posts: 34 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
Even with the increased intelligence, escape isn't immenient. Evidence to support this would be that Bean did not in truth escape the clean place. He was availabe to avoid intial detection, via the toilet tank, but he was not able to escape because Volescu and his men had not left yet. Evidence to support that can be found in Bean's account of his stay in a toilet. He recounts that the toilet was being flushed occasionly. This informs the reader that someone or someones were still using in the clean place. It isn't hard to leap to the conclusion that it was Volescu or some of his workers who were using the "can." In fact without the janitor's assistance Bean most likely would have died in the toilet. So it was more of a luck issue that even Bean escaped. More evidence to suggest that others didn't escape can be found in the first conversation between Sister Carlota and Volescu. Volescu slyly admits to the creation of 23 infants, and then later, with no forknowledge that Sister Carlota was inquiring about Bean's origin, asks sister Carlota if she knows the one who got a way. Because he only counted 22 going into the fire. The evidence is very strong in suggesting that no one but Bean survived the clean place. However it is true that more than one of them had the key turned in them, but Bean had the luck so he survived.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peruru Dragoon
Member # 2545

- posted      Profile for Peruru Dragoon   Email Peruru Dragoon         Edit/Delete Post 
Volescu is also a liar and maybe he wasn't telling the truth about the 22 babies going into the fire?

We'll never know I guess.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's assume that Volescu did lie and tried to "save" one of the babies. How would he have hidden it to then secret it away, but let's say that he (or someone else) was successful. If this was accomplished, it could not have been done for more than one of the babies as that whole endeavor would have been extremely risky (they were being raided by the Narco equivalents). Anyways, if he did manage to "rescue" one of the babies, then that baby could not have had the key turned on, as no one else stood out intellectually, and then physically as Bean has done.

*But* I think Volescu was only interested in his own hide, and would not have rescued any baby. So if another survived, it would not have been him, but instead, one of the technicians that worked there. Did anyone else have the opportunity? If so, that baby was probably not "gifted" as Bean was for the reasons above.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tancath
Member # 5769

I thik Locke is right, although I grieve too much for those babies to admit it. After all, if Volescu had enough time to kill 22 babies and make the bodies disappear, surely he had enough time to remove them to another hiding place? So when he removed them alive, he only found 22.
And maybe genius children don't have to stand up intellectually in too obvious a way. Wouldn't they want to go as inconspicuous as possible in order to survive?

Posts: 34 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poly_biosis
Member # 5773

- posted      Profile for poly_biosis   Email poly_biosis         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean was so smart he had sensed Danger, maybe the others weren't as smart as bean. maybe the only one that had anton key was bean himself. If the others were as smart as Bean they would have been hidding in some place else.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tancath
Member # 5769

Yeah, I know. But it is ever sooo sad!Still, it's funny trying to discover what DID happen to these kids when OSC himself probably didn't give them another thought.
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe there is also another thread about this to which I have already contributed and I don't want to go looking for it, but to make my point short - we cannot be sure that all of Volescu's little experiments had Anton's Key. After all, Petra deduces right before the in vetro that there indeed is no procedure to test for Anton's Key. Since there is no test for Anton's Key and Volescu disposed of three of the eight, leaving them with five, for all we know (and all that Volescu knows) he could have disposed of the only three that had Anton's Key turned. So, Bean's and Nikolai's twins might not even have had Anton's Key turned. There is no doubt that they were all more than intelligent seeing as Nikolai was a battle school student, so Anton's Key + battle school student = super human. But just imagine if they would've used Anton's Key on one of John Paul's and Theresa's children! They would've been even more intelligent than Bean. [Wink]
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
If you reread the conversation between Volescu and Sister Carlotta, you will see that Volescu demeanor highly suggests that he was very deeply interested in the sole survivor of the incinerator. If he had rescued even one of those children he would not be so intrigued about the outcome of Bean, he would have all the research he needed from the ones he rescued. It doesn't make sense for his emotions to be expressed in the way that the were unless he was unaware of the results of experiments. It was like Christmas for the psychopath. He finally found out that his lost specimen was alive and well. His face lit up and he practically jumped for joy. And then he and Sister Carlotta sang Christmas carols.(I believe it was Christmas carols, but you might wanna check me ont that because it could have been: The Devil went down to Athens looking for some infants to steal.) [Big Grin]
But in truth Volescu killed the other 22 unless OSC wants to pull some illogical ace out of his sleeve. The main premise for argument comes from SFTD, "... Ockham's razor decrees that we believe the simplest explanation..."(pg. 140 in paperback). The simpliest answer is that the others were killed, you are only delusioning yourself if you are struggling to think otherwise. Have a nice day, and see if you can drop a few of those delusions!

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But then, what happened to the others? If they werew as smart as Bean, surely they should have escaped too?
No two minds are ever the same.

Great minds do not think alike.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
Locke, that's not at all what I meant by my last post, but then again, perhaps you weren't talking to me...confusion... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.