FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Walking Man

Author Topic: Walking Man
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
When I began reading one of the Alvin Maker books--Prentice Alvin, I believe--this was one of the names the Unmaker claimed had been used for him. Immediately it struck me that the Big Bad of The Stand and, so I hear, the Dark Tower series, is sometimes known as the "Walkin' Dude". Neither variant seemed particularly evocative of evil, so I thought perhaps they were connected, and I know Card likes King's work. Coincidence, homage, or shared reference to something else?
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnonymousNC
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for AnonymousNC   Email AnonymousNC         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the Walking Man, Walkin Dude, Flagg, etc... is the evil of The Stand and part of the evil of the Dark Tower series. I sure can't speak for Mr. Card but it would be hard to imagine that it wasn't intentional.

The Dark Tower/Gunslinger series actually brings in characters/realities from almost all of King's past books including The Stand.

Just for your info, it is a fabulous series. The new on comes out in November like Crystal City. It is called Wolves of the Calla. You don't have to be a King reader they completely stand alone and it isn't neccesary to know that people/things are coming from other books. And it isn't "horror" per se it has alternate history, fantasy, action, etc...

Anyway I'll shut up about King on Card's site but they are both in my top 5. Which is unfortunate for my pocket since they both are so prolific.

Card and King both share a common mastery of character. If any of you have stayed away from King as "too popular" "just horror" you should give it a try. The Stand or the Gunslinger volume 1 is a great place to start. But buy Crystal City first!

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.