FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What does the outside world think.

Author Topic: What does the outside world think.
Deucalion
Member # 5790

- posted      Profile for Deucalion   Email Deucalion         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there.
I am helping to run a Book of the month type club on another forum.
The book that the members choose for the very first book of the month was Enders Game (My suggestion). We have all been reading it over the past few weeks and are about to start posting our reviews.
Most of the members have never read any Science fiction at all. So what did they think? Find out here.
http://www.friendshipforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=2019

If you are reading this Orson, why not pop over and see what non Sci Fi readers think, post a reply, that would really freak them out!!!!!!

Thanks for reading.
Nick. [The Wave]

[ October 11, 2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Deucalion ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hint: he doesn't actually go by Orson, Nick. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure he does [Smile]
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sure he does
Ooooh, stomped by Mrs. Card herself! [Taunt]

jk Tom [Wink]

By the way Deucalion, isn't Nick a great name? [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

By the way, there are a lot of other GREAT (and I mean GREAT!) books by Orson Scott Card (we call him OSC here for short [Smile] ).

Check out the Library .

Read the samples. You can read the first few chapters on most of them. They're all pretty awesome books. I would recommend The Memory of Earth if you like Sci-Fi. It's the start of the Homecoming series, which I think is the better overall series compared to the Ender books. But, that's just my opinion, and many others will disagree with me.

Ender's Game & Speaker of the Dead pretty much dominate the top two favorite Sci-Fi books, and it's hard to say which is better. OSC is a great writer, check him out. [Wink]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] KACard

Nick
Hint: She doesn't go by Mrs. Card.

[Wink] [Laugh] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deucalion
Member # 5790

- posted      Profile for Deucalion   Email Deucalion         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies.

Have read first 3 Ender, First two shadow, first two Alivin Maker, first two of Homecoming, then I ran out of money. I thought I was was pretty well versed in OSC (See I am learning)before I came on this site!!!!

I am sure that OSC's Mom still calls him Orson.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, I think you're forging a path into a bright new future in which people communicate by smilies alone.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Hobbes:
[Confused]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Well smilies and names...

[Laugh] Tom [ROFL] [Wave]

[Wink]

Nick, I was just poking fun at Tom, I'm sure she goes by Mrs. Card. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Oh okay.

I was pretty confused for a second there. [Big Grin]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Well, you could always ask her if that's what she goes by ... [Wink] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
::twitches::

So...many...smilies

Looks almost as bad as a wieczorek post.

::twitches::

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Looks almost as bad as a wieczorek post.
[Confused]

Is there some feud between you two?

Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember: the enemy's gate is fictional. [Smile]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
And here I thought this thread would be about the sentience of aiua s.

A new form of communication based entirely on smilies. You know, posts are limited to eight smilies. ASCII was 8 slots of 1 or 0. Someone smarter than me would know how many permutations we can have with 32 unique smilies in 8 place configurations. Heck, that's already more than there are characters in the english language. [Kiss] Hobbes [Kiss]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, people on that site don't seem all that enthusiastic about posting. Although I'd have to disagree with the part where you said Ender's parents didn't want him. They did, they wanted ten more kids. They just didn't want all of the complications that go with a third child. Even though they were proud to be able to break the population limitation laws, the Wiggins were ashamed because that was all they were willing to break the law by. They wished it were possible to go off into the middle of the country and have a ton of children. Maybe I should post that there, but I'm too lazy to like, register and stuff. And I'm not sure what the website is actually for and again, I'm too lazy to like, find out and stuff.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.