FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Icon 2003 with Orson Scott Card - The 2nd Day

Author Topic: Icon 2003 with Orson Scott Card - The 2nd Day
Loial
Member # 5788

- posted      Profile for Loial           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

This will be shorter than yesterday, because there are other things I want to do right now.

Around 13:45 I joined the line at the OSC book signing. About 2 hours later I reached the head of the line. There were many people behind me, so there wasn't really time to chat with OSC. I just asked him to sign one book (Speaker for the Dead) for a friend (who has a birthday tomorrow, and had better appreciate this present). The other book (Seventh Son, I wanted to get all the Alvin Maker books signed, but there was a 2 book limit) he signed for me. (He wrote - 'to Eran - Don't go near the water!' [Smile] ). He has a huge signature (I don't know how he manages to fit it in checks [Big Grin] ). I also got a photo with him. (I hope it turns OK). I think this would be the first and last book signing I ever attend. (Unless I know in advance that there wouldn't be so many people).

After the book signing there was a panel where 2 guys and a lady got to ask OSC some questions. Of course they had to ask some 'complicated' and 'smart' questions to show how great they are. Luckily Card didn't take their questions too seriously, and basicly said whatever he wished. [Smile]
He said a lot of things, so I can't repeat even a small portion of what he said.
He spoke about the Ender Game/Ender Shadow film. Probably nothing new to you guys. (About the original producer wanting Ender to be 16 so that he can have a girlfriend. Luckily this producer didn't get to do the film. He told about combining Ender's Game & Ender's Shadow into one film, and changing the ending of finding the hive queen to include Bean. Right now they are giong to choose another writer to try to write a better script).
He spoke about the change in the readers of SF & Fantasy (more female readers), which led to an increase in the quality of the genre, as the focus moved to developing the characters and their relationships. He also said that this led to very thick multi volumed series that move very slowly. He then mentioned reading Robert Jordan's first book and deciding not to read the rest out of fear of not living long enough to see the end of that series [Big Grin] .

Oh, and I got 2 more OSC books, which are my first OSC books in Hebrew. (Pastwatch & Maps in a Mirror), and since I want to start reading them I'll end my post here. (even though there was a lot more stuff that he said)

Tomorrow, the final day of the convention, there will be something called 1000 ideas in a hour or something like that. I understand that he did this in past occasions, so you probably know about it better than I do.

Time for some reading [Wink]

Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
renbadune
Member # 5819

- posted      Profile for renbadune   Email renbadune         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for the summary.

I'm an Israeli too... OSC is my favorite author, without a doubt... unfortunately I can't make it to ICon [Frown]

Is there any chance he's doing a special event on friday somewhere?? *hopeful*

renbadune
p.s. I'm new here, tho i've been on Ornery for a bit as Elimis

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized why ICon is this week (probably). *laughs* Lots of Israeli kids not in school -- clever timing.

Thanks for more vicarious fun, Loial. [Hat]

Welcome to Hatrack, renbadune. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
does OSC speak Hebrew, or was the lecture and everything in English?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the review. I am so glad I went to Endercon. I almost didn't, thinking "it sounds like they will be having these regularly..." Even so, not all U.S. based fans are blase about the 1000 ideas etc.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tomorrow, the final day of the convention, there will be something called 1000 ideas in a hour or something like that. I understand that he did this in past occasions, so you probably know about it better than I do.

I definitely recommend "1000 ideas in an hour". A good way to learn some things about writing, really quickly. Make sure you participate in it; you'll learn more than just sitting and listening.

Also, I predict that you will enjoy "Pastwatch". Great book. [Smile]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I would desperately like to see the 1000 ideas seminar some day.

*pout*

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loial
Member # 5788

He doesn't speak Hebrew (the only words he knew were Shalom (Hello) , Ken (Yes) & Lo (No) ).
Before his first lecture he said that he noticed there was no translator, and hoped this meant that the audience understands English, and didn't come just to see him moving his lips. [Smile]

I don't think there is any OSC event on Friday. I think 5 events in 3 days is enough.
I will attend (of course) the 1000 ideas an hour thing.

I started reading Pastwatch yesterday, but fell asleep quickly (this always happens to me when I try to read at a late hour in bed [Smile] ). I hope I won't be disappointed by the translation. (I've always read his books in English, and I think I would have lost half the fun in reading Alvin Maker if I read it in Hebrew, because you can't translate all the funny things he does to English words there).

Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Right now they are giong to choose another writer to try to write a better script
I take it OSC's people are finally talking to Thor's people?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] [ROFL]

[No No]

[Wink] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...and changing the ending of finding the hive queen to include Bean.
[Eek!] WHAT?!?!? How did I miss this?!? Why in the world would he do that?

[ October 18, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Miro ]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
How could Bean be part of the meeting of the Hive Queen?
Unless OSC breaks away from the Shadow series, it would seem impossible for Bean to take part in the meeting of the hive queen. The only way that I can think of off the top of my head would be for the Hive Queen to contact Bean philotically. But even then, unless Bean doesn't die early in SOTG, but instead takes a long relativistic trip, Bean would be dead before Ender even arrives on the planet.
It will interesting to see how OSC explains that outcome in the upcoming movie and book.

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darkestablishment
Member # 5831

- posted      Profile for Darkestablishment   Email Darkestablishment         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After the book signing there was a panel where 2 guys and a lady got to ask OSC some questions. Of course they had to ask some 'complicated' and 'smart' questions to show how great they are. Luckily Card didn't take their questions too seriously, and basicly said whatever he wished.

Actually, we asked what we hoped were good questions, and OSC seemed to take them seriously enough, and answered them well.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xodarap
Member # 5821

- posted      Profile for Xodarap   Email Xodarap         Edit/Delete Post 
LoL , you're one of them aren't you? Well , I'm from Israel too (And new to these forums) , I must say the panel was wonderful , not for the 'smart' question but for the long not-very-related answers Orson gave.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loial
Member # 5788

about the alternate ending to the film :
Card said Bean and Ender will find the hive queen together on Eros

Loial
Member # 5788

Darkestablishment, I'm sorry if I offended you. I just felt that the questions were too long. I came there (and paid some money) to hear OSC, not you guys. And I think it would have been more interesting if you allowed the audience to ask most of the questions. (Like on the first day of Icon).
Oh, and I think you have to admit that Card's answers were not always related to your questions.

Xodarap
Member # 5821

What Loial said [Wink]
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink] Hmm, if you newbies come out of the woodwork over slight dissension, you'll love the other side of the river! [Big Grin]

In any case, welcome to Hatrack, Darkestablishment and Xodarap. [Wave]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xodarap
Member # 5821

Thank you [Smile]
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know if his wife Kristine was there? She is such a nice lady.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xodarap
Member # 5821

I'm pretty sure he was here alone..
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he might be. I had just e-mailed her and she responded like she was at home.

Thanks

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
about the alternate ending to the film :
Card said Bean and Ender will find the hive queen together on Eros

[Cry]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.