FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Subatomic String Theory, Women of Genesis

Author Topic: Subatomic String Theory, Women of Genesis
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm branching into a new thread here from "The Card Universe". I'm afraid I can't provide quotes from any books because I'm still waiting for a buttlerfly to flap its wings in Bei-jing, causing my house to be in order instead of chaos.

So I believe that in Xenocide Grego, the phycisist, explains that subatomic particles are not the smallest units of matter. There are still smaller ones, and they are themselves comprised of strings/philotes.

The properties of the strings come in many dimensions and only a relatively small number exist in our universe at any given time.

What I liked about this and Women of Genesis is how the characters are at odds with each other, but theoretically on God's side. This is the case in all his books, but it is a much more central problem in the scriptural works. You have God's prophet, Abraham, acting as he believes he must. But he is being thwarted by Rebecca, who is acting according to the Holy Spirit. They aren't behaving according to a unified set of principles. In essence, they are "Outside" one another's realities.

The amazing thing is not that we can go "Outside", but that we are ever really "Inside". Most of us live in a universe where we are the most important person. We are protected by scripts based on past experience and don't live in the moment. Like Ender bring Val and Pete back inside with him.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting.

Nice to know.

Thank you.

Goodbye.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying that the exception is when you understand someone else?

I can see that. [Smile] Thanks.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
:banishes X12 to the "complains about OSC" dimension: Just kidding. Thank you for saving this from being the oldest thread to ever have zero responses. You are actually in one of my top attention tiers now.

I guess this really is just a variation of that conversation where Mulder asks Scully "If you could be anyone in the world, who would you pick?"

[Wave] katharina [Wave]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, thank you! But really, i found that very interesting and gave me things to contiplate about. Your so nice!
Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.