FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Lost Boys

Author Topic: Lost Boys
KidAmnesiac
Member # 6097

- posted      Profile for KidAmnesiac   Email KidAmnesiac         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized that 'LOST BOYS' is a novel as well as a short story. 'Tis most upsetting that I read the short first- this story touched me in a way that no other Card story has been able to match, and thats saying a whole hell of alot. Lost Boys made me cry which is quite out of the ordinary in my experience with literature. I have been moved to tears only once since then, once again by the allmighty Card (Red Prophet). Even though I know the outcome of the story I'm not gonna let that stop me from enjoying the novel.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in a similar boat here. I have been putting off reading Lost Boys the novel for years because of how much I loved the short story. It might not make sense, but it's true.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I would read it. It's not my favorite of his, but it is by far the most 'real' of all of his works. This is mostly because it's almost autobiographical and mainly about his own family. At the Portland signing I asked him, aside from his family, which of his projects he had felt the most attached to, or which was his 'favorite.' He laughed and said something to the effect of "Well, it's STILL my family because Lost Boys is about my family..." and it was the one he loved the very most. He also said he'd never do a book like that again.

You probably know why as you can probably remember the ending of the short story.

Anyway, I recommend it.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't usually cry while reading, but Card can make me. I too cried while reading the short story of Lost Boys, but I cried even more while reading the novel, and I ended up liking the novel much, much more.

So I second Narnia's comment: Read it!

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.