FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » could Baba Tila be a tribute?

Author Topic: could Baba Tila be a tribute?
bbtilove
Member # 6116

- posted      Profile for bbtilove           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't anyone shed more light on the identity of Baba Tila? At the end of "Enchantment" OSC gives his thanks "...to Erin Absher, for Baba Tila's real identity." (As most fans probably know, Erin is a close family friend of the Cards; someone who has given so much aid and support that she is loved as a family member). Anyway, the statement can be read two ways. Erin could have given an idea for Baba Tila's identity...or she could BE the basis for the character. The book certainly gives hints that Tila is one of the 3 aunts that try to protect the Princess, but never enuff info to be sure. So I was wondering...since OSC needed a powerful, loving, protective character...did he invent Baba Tila to thank Erin Absher for all she has meant to his family? What a tribute that would be! But if he meant it as a tribute to this wonderful person, why can't the fans know??
Also, are there any opportunities at the Hatrack site to ask OSC directly?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
She must have just given him the idea. He never bases characters on real people.

[/sarcasm]

I'd assume he based the character off the real Erin -- it sounds exactly like the kind of generous and loving thing he would do. And based on the wording, I'd say it's more likely anyway.

Welcome to Hatrack!

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*sighs*

What Papa Moose is trying to say is that he predates the Papa Moose in Crystal City. [Razz]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bbtilove
Member # 6116

- posted      Profile for bbtilove           Edit/Delete Post 
OH! [Blushing] Thanks for the info. I guess there's more to learn about this forum than just how to use Graemlins!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.