FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Did Ender and Bean fight all the battles? (Spoiler Alert)

Author Topic: Did Ender and Bean fight all the battles? (Spoiler Alert)
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of Ender's Game, Ender is playing his so called simulation and at one point he can;t go on and we find out in the Shadow books Bean controls these battles.

My question is: Did Ender and Bean really fight ALL of the battles. Command school had plenty of able commanders who must have had some strengths that Ender did not. I wonder if they fought some of the lesser battles alongside Ender. We know Ender fought battles for a long time so I'm assuming he fought more than a hundred (I don't have the book handy right now). What do you guys think? You think Ender and his gang killed the Buggers by themselves?

Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely.(With a whole lot of help from many brave soldiers.)

[ March 18, 2004, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Objectivity
Member # 4553

- posted      Profile for Objectivity           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished re(-re-re-re)reading Ender's Game and came up with a similiar - yet totally different - question.

In Ender's Game when Ender is thinking about his commanders at Command School, it says Bean is good with small groups of ships under his command but not overall strategy. It also says Alai is the second best strategist when it comes to overall command.

When challenged by Mazer and asked who could take over if he couldn't do it, Ender answered Alai, not Bean.

Yet, in Ender's Shadow, Bean is the one with the mind second to Ender when it comes to overall command - and everyone else recognizes it. Obviously, it's Bean's book and equally as obvious, Ender's Shadow wasn't even a thought when Ender's Game was written, but still something that makes you go hmmmmmmm.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
That's explained in Ender's Shadow. It says that Mazer influenced Ender to think that way.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
It is clear that this issue is covered in Ender's Shadow, Graff tells Bean that Mazer is deliberately undercutting Ender's confidence in Bean in subtle ways to insure that Bean has as little responsibility as possible so he can keep track of the whole battle and act as Ender's Second.

In the battle where Petra loses it, it is Bean who alerts Ender.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Jinx!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Admiral Ender
Member # 6414

- posted      Profile for Admiral Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
i think that in the shadow series bean is a better commander because he saw how ender did it. in enders game and in battle school he was always watching taking mentle notes. he always did do better with smaller groups though when commanding. he was just a good strategist when it came to the big armies, he never actually commanded the large armies just made the strategy for them.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.