FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender Series Book Covers: What do they mean?

Author Topic: Ender Series Book Covers: What do they mean?
andrewski
Member # 6387

- posted      Profile for andrewski   Email andrewski         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Hi all.
I have a question about the covers of the Ender series books. I'm just finishing them up (and enjoying them!) and all along, I have not been able to figure out what the covers have to do with the books. I could see, with the help of a friend, if Ender's Game was something relating to the simulator, though I would not have guessed that myself. Can anyone offer some clues?

(It looks like this has been asked before--I searched the forum--but none of the seemingly-pertinent topic links worked.)

[ March 29, 2004, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: andrewski ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
The first three covers were originally drawn for some other scifi trilogy that the publisher was planning to produce. For whatever reason, that trilogy did not go through and the covers got put on the Ender series.

So, basically, the answer to your question is nothing.

BTW, welcome. [Smile]

[ March 29, 2004, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Miro ]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wondered who that yellow ship belonged too...
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captainmoriar
Member # 6416

- posted      Profile for captainmoriar   Email captainmoriar         Edit/Delete Post 
I am pretty sure that that is one of the fighters that they manipulate through the computer and the ansible to fight the buggers.

EDIT: Well that was my interpretation of it anyway...

[ April 06, 2004, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: captainmoriar ]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost never pay attention to the covers anyway...
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that cover of Enders Game was of the yellow battle school shuttle boarding the battle school station. just a thought.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I get my books from the library or second-hand, so I usually don't have one of these newfangled covers.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I dreamed the other night that Ender's Game was re-released with a plain yellow Jacket, with just the title really big in red-almost orange in one of those dictionary style fonts. I think I must have realized I was dreaming.

[ April 15, 2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it depends on which country you're in, which cover you'll see (different ones for different translations). Isn't that right?

Are you talking about the American editions, or which?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, you are right. It depends on which edition you are talking about (pocket or hardcover, for exemple) and they are often different in different countries, even if in the same language (I remember arguing about the cover of Harry Potter, and it was different in America and in England, I had the English edition).
French covers :
Ender 1
Ender 2
Ender 3
Ender 4, pocket edition
Ender 4, hardcover edition

[ April 16, 2004, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! I really like that fractal hand cover.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
We got Gipped in America...
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlelf
Member # 6145

- posted      Profile for littlelf   Email littlelf         Edit/Delete Post 
Did we really get gipped? What if we all passed on the book b/c we didn't like the cover? Then, a large percentage of us would not be part of this community or would have had the experience of a single book changing our lives (OK, that last bit was MHO). That would have been criminal.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else think the Ender on the French version of Speaker for the Dead *looks* French?

I mean, check out that turtleneck! All he needs is a beret and a cigarette.
[Smile]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveEEE
Member # 6457

- posted      Profile for DaveEEE   Email DaveEEE         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the ambiguity of covers in sci-fi(or any genre of book for that matter) is important. I want to draw my own interpretations of what aspects of the story look like(especially characters). I like the American version covers of the Ender books(at least I am assuming I own the american covers...I am in Canada). Those French covers that someone posted(thanks btw! I didn't know that different covers were released) really force upon the reader a pre-conceived idea of what characters look like. Ender does not look like that, to me, when I read the book; the father trees(or mother trees) do not look like that when I read the books.
This is the problem I have with movies based on books I have read(especiialy ones I love). Now, sometimes it works out(for example, Legolas in LOTR and ESPECIALLY Sauruman!!! but on a side note I thought they made Gimli a baffoon as they did, as well, the King of Gondor).....but, movies based upon classic books have often let me down. Harry Potter the movie changed(in my mind) the way I saw many of the main characters, to the point of making me not want to see the other movies. I don't know if it is only me but I DID NOT see Hagrid in that foolish, un-educated(for lack of a better term) way that the movie portrayed. Again, this is IMO. That is why I love the Ender book covers. I seriously didn't even take them into cosideration when I read the books....other than know that they books were of the sci-fi genre. That is how it should be.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveEEE
Member # 6457

- posted      Profile for DaveEEE   Email DaveEEE         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the ambiguity of covers in sci-fi(or any genre of book for that matter) is important. I want to draw my own interpretations of what aspects of the story look like(especially characters). I like the American version covers of the Ender books(at least I am assuming I own the american covers...I am in Canada). Those French covers that someone posted(thanks btw! I didn't know that different covers were released) really force upon the reader a pre-conceived idea of what characters look like. Ender does not look like that, to me, when I read the book; the father trees(or mother trees) do not look like that when I read the books.
This is the problem I have with movies based on books I have read(especiialy ones I love). Now, sometimes it works out(for example, Legolas in LOTR and ESPECIALLY Sauruman!!! but on a side note I thought they made Gimli a baffoon as they did, as well, the King of Gondor).....but, movies based upon classic books have often let me down. Harry Potter the movie changed(in my mind) the way I saw many of the main characters, to the point of making me not want to see the other movies. I don't know if it is only me but I DID NOT see Hagrid in that foolish, un-educated(for lack of a better term) way that the movie portrayed. Again, this is IMO. That is why I love the Ender book covers. I seriously didn't even take them into cosideration when I read the books....other than know that they books were of the sci-fi genre. That is how it should be.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Anna, those were really fun to see.

I went to one of the less racous sounding lectures at EnderCon, "Bibliography of OSC" and was treated to some mind blowing cover art. P.S. There have been some interesting covers of sci fi mags. I'm thinking of the "Analog" with a story of "Gloriously Bright". An excerpt of Xenocide , I think.

:wonders if OSC has been translated into Arabic very much:

[ April 19, 2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.