FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Salaam

Author Topic: Salaam
Son_of_Priam
Member # 6411

- posted      Profile for Son_of_Priam   Email Son_of_Priam         Edit/Delete Post 
In Ender's Game when they promoted Ender from the launchies and put him into an army,Ender and Alai talked on one of the beds, and at the end of their discussion Alai told Ender "Salaam" and Ender thought it was somehow forbidden and sacred and all that, but later in Shadow Puppets, Petra says it to Alai when she talked to him. I was wondering if Alai just said it as a general goodbye and then was crying because he didn't think he was going to see Ender again, or if it was something sacred and petra might have been "in the loop". [Confused]
Posts: 73 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the other day that the English "so long" has its roots in the word salaam. Can anybody confirm or refute this?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Later in Ender's Game, Alai said Salaam meant Peace (which is does). ENder thought it was sacred, but Alai never said it was sacred himself. Though I would say it was something he said only to good friends.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Salaam and Shalom are also related at their roots. Both mean hello or peace.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.